1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Advanced Registration Protection...

Discussion in 'Add-on Requests [Archive]' started by Jaxel, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Jaxel

Jaxel Well-Known Member

I'm looking for the following registration features...
    • Question and answer multiple choice turing test...
    There is a mod like this already on vBulletin... I have a directory of small images, all the images have recognizable names. The system will randomly select 5 images, then select one of those images and ask "Which one of these is <name_of_image>?". If the user gets it wrong, their registration will be rejected and they will have to try again... It should also use a "strikes" system.​

• Automatic unverified user cleanup...
    There are four possible user states in XF: 'valid', 'email_confirm', 'email_confirm_edit' and 'moderated'. Obviously 'valid' and 'moderated' are self explanatory. However the other two are slightly different, 'email_confirm' means a user is NEW, and has not confirmed their account email; 'email_confirm_edit' means a user is VALID user, but recently edited their email and thus must reconfirm their email address.​

I am looking for the ability to automatically delete users who remain in the 'email_confirm' state for too long. For instance, if a user registers, and doesn't confirm their email for 2 weeks, I would like to get their account purged. The reason for this is to clean up spam. Often a spam bot will register 500+ accounts over the course of a month, that will just lie in wait on the forum. Then randomly several months later they will all verify their emails and start spamming.​

There is a mod for this in vBulletin, but it was problematic because if someone changed their email address, they were put in risk of getting their account deleted; even though they were previously verified users. Because of XenForo's 'email_confirm_edit' feature, this issue has already been resolved! You should also be able to set a maximum post requirement.​

ankurs, Ranger375 and laztrix like this.
  2. yavuz

yavuz Well-Known Member

I had been using a similar one with vBulletin. Hopefully a developer steps up and make a similar enhancement to registration. +1