Add-on Advanced Application Forms vs Simple Forms

Main Company

I plan to add Form capabilities to our board soon, and I'd like to hear from anyone here who has experience with both of these add-ons.

I'm reading thru the comments on each, but would like to hear from someone who has done a comparison of both of these.

Thanks.

I am using Simple forms and I am delighted with that add on. It depence what you want to create.

I am using Simple forms and I am delighted with that add on. It depence what you want to create.
Our forum is used internally by a small workgroup. We have a couple of forms that we use to build documents, but these typically go thru numerous iterations. I was hoping to add the forms to our board in a structured way. The alternative, which we are kind of doing now, is for us to:
  • paste the form outline into an OP, and then
  • each responder copies the post above them,
  • pastes the previous post's entry into their post,
  • then edits their own post,
  • then posts reply
I would like to simply be able to incorporate a form template, and allow each user within the thread to be able to update, or amend the contents of the form in order to collaborate on a final version.

With Simple forms you can create any type of forms, and then you can choose when user fill form that form is show up as post in some thread, or show up as new thread, or conversation or e-mail.
I create today form on my forum which show up as a post in particular topic. Also, you can edit template design how form will be create in post. Let me show you some screenshot from my forum:

This is form which is created in thread

Lokacija ribolova (barem približna)
Okolica Crikvenice

Izvještaj
Ovdje ide kompletan proizvoljni izvještaj.
Da kopiram neki od već postojećih...

Dođem na poziciju, pričekam mračiju, bacim plovak sa brumalicom, štap Cormoran Tele 80 All around. Bukve kljucaju ko blesave, budući da nisu bile
neke obilate, vratim ih natrag u more. Kod jednog bacanja, kada je već bila debela mračija, zamahnem štapom, a štap kvrc...na dnu prve sekcije.

Budući da nisam vidio dobro iza sebe, a malo sam previše spustio plovak i sistem (gledajući od vrha štapa), trokuke su se zakačile za siku i to je bio kraj mog Cormorana.

Izvadim starog Silstara i lovim još malo bez brumavanja, dignem komarčicu od cca 40 deka. Lovio sam još jedno 30-ak minuta, ali to je bilo sve.
Jako slabo, plus slomljen štap.

Sutradan odem do prodavaonice kupit novog Cormorana, ali naravno, nemaju više Tele 80, nego samo Tele 60, a to mi je malo. Odem do druge prodavaonice i kupim nekakav Falcon, grafitini, gramaže 40 -100. Navečer odem na siku kako bih ga isprobao.

Vrlo, vrlo tvrd štap (prije će biti od 80-120 nego 40-100), sa 10cm kraćom drškom od Silstara, tj 10cm kraći razmak od dna štapa do gornjeg hvatišta role. Nedostaje mi tih 10 centi, ko ozeblom sunce.
Uparit ću ga sa rolom Surecatch i služit će za slučajeve kranje nužde (ukoliko porazbijam sve ostale štapove).

Ubuduće idem u kupovinu sa metrom. Ako ima manje od 50cm od dna štapa do gornjeg hvatišta role, ne dolazi u obzir.

Datum ribolova
Jučer od 17:00 pa sve do jutros do 09:15

Koje ribe ste ulovili?
Orada 2kg, par pirki, 9 morskih zvijezda

Slike ulova i pozicije
D665BB9D-529E-4398-B9BC-92122433FB02_zpsonfmya4j.jpg

Ješka
Usoljena srdela, veliki morski crv

Oprema sa kojom ste lovili?
Ron Thompson teleskopski 4,80 m, 180 grama
Rola neka Shimano veličine 8000

Sistem na koji ste lovili
Glavni najlon 0,40mm, predvez 0,35 fluorocarbon, olovo klizno 80 grama, udica Mustad 2/0

Dubina na kojoj ste lovili?
15-30m

Kakvo je vrijeme bilo tijekom ribolova?
Na početku sunčano, tijekom noći jaka kiša

Mjesec
3 dana nakon punog mjeseca

Kurenat
Slab kurenat, na mahove

Plima i oseka
Jaka plima na početku, tijekom noći pad u oseku jaki

This is Form it self,user view

a_zps9c3341c5.png

This is very cool.

Is there anyway to publish the form within a thread so that eveyone just sees the form view? In your case, just the contents of the form are published to the thread. But what if what was published was just another version of the editable form? That way, every poster can simply "edit" the previous poster's entries in the form.

This is very cool.

Is there anyway to publish the form within a thread so that eveyone just sees the form view? In your case, just the contents of the form are published to the thread. But what if what was published was just another version of the editable form? That way, every poster can simply "edit" the previous poster's entries in the form.
Thanks for the interest in our product. I know you're looking to have actual clients chime in here to talk about both of these addons, but I figured I would poke my head in here :).

I'd be interested in understanding your needs a little better. Are you saying you would like the form to be within the thread? I'm just making sure I understand ;)

This is very cool.

Yep, you can manage that form s posted in thread and anyone else just replayed through form to thread. But another version of form could be in same thread, but you have to create just another form

Thanks for the interest in our product. I know you're looking to have actual clients chime in here to talk about both of these addons, but I figured I would poke my head in here :).

I'd be interested in understanding your needs a little better. Are you saying you would like the form to be within the thread? I'm just making sure I understand ;)
Yes. We're essentially iterating on the form contents. The form is merely a boilerplate for structuring the document.

So, say we want to run an experiment of some kind. I may start off the discussion by completing the section of the form that talk about the purpose of the experiment, the exeriment subjects, and what questions I may want to answer from it. I submit the form to a new thread, and someone who is more technical than I can now begin to work on the sections of the form that discuss the technology we'll need to execute the test, and the specific req'ts for the system. In the end, we may have several participants collaborating to complete the form, and define all aspects of the experiment.

Again, we could certainly just paste headers from the boiler plate into the OP to kick things off, but that gets messy very quickly. We need ways to silo each subsection of the boiler within the threaded discusion.

Make sense?

Yes. We're essentially iterating on the form contents. The form is merely a boilerplate for structuring the document.

So, say we want to run an experiment of some kind. I may start off the discussion by completing the section of the form that talk about the purpose of the experiment, the exeriment subjects, and what questions I may want to answer from it. I submit the form to a new thread, and someone who is more technical than I can now begin to work on the sections of the form that discuss the technology we'll need to execute the test, and the specific req'ts for the system. In the end, we may have several participants collaborating to complete the form, and define all aspects of the experiment.

Again, we could certainly just paste headers from the boiler plate into the OP to kick things off, but that gets messy very quickly. We need ways to silo each subsection of the boiler within the threaded discusion.

Make sense?
I believe so, but since the submitted form is a thread by nature you can easily have someone go in and edit the thread and reply as you could with any other thread. The only difference is that editing the thread does not actually edit the data collected in the backend (if you need it for any reason). Also, the form is an easy way to structure your thread layout so your moderators can edit the thread easily and people can reply to specifics easy enough. I hope that makes sense. If you're curious of how the form works, you can take look at our community forum:

https://liquidpro.net/community/

Register and verify your XenForo license. Then you can post a thread in our playground here: https://liquidpro.net/community/forums/simple-forms-playground.32/

Hope that is helpful :)

I believe so, but since the submitted form is a thread by nature you can easily have someone go in and edit the thread and reply as you could with any other thread. The only difference is that editing the thread does not actually edit the data collected in the backend (if you need it for any reason). Also, the form is an easy way to structure your thread layout so your moderators can edit the thread easily and people can reply to specifics easy enough. I hope that makes sense. If you're curious of how the form works, you can take look at our community forum:

https://liquidpro.net/community/

Register and verify your XenForo license. Then you can post a thread in our playground here: https://liquidpro.net/community/forums/simple-forms-playground.32/

Hope that is helpful :)
I registered, responded to the validation email, but I get "looks like you're not a LiquidPro client!" when I try to visit the playground

you can easily have someone go in and edit the thread and reply as you could with any other thread. The only difference is that editing the thread does not actually edit the data collected in the backend
Yea, would be nice to retain the form data in the DB, even after people in the thread change it. I realize that this is probably an entirely different level of functionality than you had intended. You'd almost have to retain multiple versions of the form data, one for each post someone makes.

I registered, responded to the validation email, but I get "looks like you're not a LiquidPro client!" when I try to visit the playground

Yea, would be nice to retain the form data in the DB, even after people in the thread change it. I realize that this is probably an entirely different level of functionality than you had intended. You'd almost have to retain multiple versions of the form data, one for each post someone makes.
I checked your permissions and you should still be good to submit the form and play in that forum. That message is just to let people know that validating their LiquidPro account gives them more access.

And yes, you're right. That level of functionality would be extremely hard to implement. I don't think it is something we would look to tackle anytime soon unfortunately.

I checked your permissions and you should still be good to submit the form and play in that forum. That message is just to let people know that validating their LiquidPro account gives them more access.

And yes, you're right. That level of functionality would be extremely hard to implement. I don't think it is something we would look to tackle anytime soon unfortunately.
Yup, I totally understand.

Top Bottom