XF 1.5 ads in right sidebar?

Walkman Archive

Hi there,

Is there a way to add an custom block in the sidebar to add a banner or custom HTML?
I'd like to put "paypal donate" buttons as well as some site sponsors.

Great. thanks for the help. Now the dumb question: where are these configured?
How can I add content to one of those? (please bear in mind that I'm a complete newbie in xenforo and not very skilled in coding)

Thanks for the kind help, Brogan, but sadly I do not have knowledge about programming, so I don't know how to add the necessary code to add a block to my taste in the right sidebar.
I guess an add-on would be my only choice, right?

maybe widget-framework can help?
We achieve it by using the widget framework. That's simple enough to do. Find it in Resources (y)
How does Widget Framework make it any easier?

The user wants:

Is there a way to add an custom block in the sidebar to add a banner or custom HTML?
I'd like to put "paypal donate" buttons as well as some site sponsors.

Unless there is a PayPal donate button feature already built into Widget Framework, the user will still need to add custom HTML to the widgets.

@Walkman Archive you don't need to touch the sidebar template that Brogan pointed you towards if you are happy to stick with using one of the ad templates (and the position that these are in) that are indicated in the resource that I linked to. You would need to put in your own custom HTML or banner code into the ad template, which is easy to do (but that would be the same with Widget Framework too from what I recall).

No idea why you ask me that question? Who said it makes it any easier. He asked how to do it. I told him how simply we achieve it.:rolleyes:
Because the OP had already been offered a solution and said:

I do not have knowledge about programming, so I don't know how to add the necessary code to add a block to my taste
You offered a solution that I didn't think was any better than what was already suggested so I asked in case I had missed anything. It seems not and all I got in return from you was a sarcastic smiley.

Thanks Martok. Can you confim me if the framework you are talking about is the very same I pointed with that link?
There is no need to use Widget Framework. You just need to edit one of the ad templates that are shown in the link that I posted. You can find the template in the Admin Control Panel (ACP) in Appearance > Templates (then use the filter to find the relevant template).

Brogan's links to the How To resource explain how to edit a template. The ad templates are basically empty (they have just one line of code in them) so all you do is put your HTML code/banner code below this and save the template. That's it.

You're just being silly now. Anyone can offer solutions that actually help. Widget Framework is just adds complexity that isn't required for just this one thing (unless the OP wants to use different blocks, rearrange blocks and so on, which they currently haven't stated that they do) which can easily be achieved by editing an ad template and pasting in some banner/custom HTML. :)

I don't think so :) . The OP asked

Hi there,

I do exactly that with the Widget Framework, it is designed to make such things very easy and without any "Skill at Coding" So I offered that as an answer (Which I think would offer a better solution than yours) but note, in doing so, I was polite enough to not ask questions of your solution. :)

Regardless of how the question was phrased, an add-on is not required to add custom HTML/blocks to the sidebar.

The built in ad_* templates have been designed for that purposes and even then, custom code/templates can be added directly to the core templates, without the need for an add-on.
If further functionality is required related to widgets, etc. then an add-on would definitely be worth considering.

For the OP, this guide deals with AdSense but the same principles apply when adding other ads/content: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/responsive-adsense.2084/

Thank you guys. Although I've not asked for an easy solution, it's welcomed as I'm a newbie in all this.

As Brogan said, I'll take a look at the ad_* templates once I realize how to work with them. Any easy tutorial that shows exactly how to proceed? I don't have a good knowledge of where are those templates and how to modify them

Andy, I'm becoming a fan of your plugins. they are so well explained and are easy to use. And, god, you are a mine of plugins! (y)

Top Bottom