1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.3 Admin view content for moderation

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Dubbed Navigator, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Dubbed Navigator

Dubbed Navigator Active Member

Hi

I have been wondering for some time now why it is you absolutely have to be a moderator to view content that is awaiting moderation rather than be an administrator and be able to see the same?

I have a fair amount of both admins & mods but have to add the admins into the moderators usergroup for them to help out, and that just seems a little odd to me. It looks a little rubbish on the view staff screen to have them all doubled up as well

Sure there is a perfectly good reason why

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Administrators are not moderators, and vice versa.

They are two entirely different functions.

Amaury likes this.
  3. Dubbed Navigator

Yes they are, but surely they should be able to do the same thing as a moderator?

If there isn't one available at that point in time, it would make sense for an admin to see content awaiting moderation quickly and easily?

4. Brogan

So you accept they perform different functions yet at the same time expect them to have the same permissions?

That doesn't make sense.

If you want an administrator to moderate, make them a moderator.

Amaury likes this.
  5. Dubbed Navigator

I think it makes perfect sense. Why cant an admin easily approve posts for newer members if a moderator isnt present?

6. Brogan

They can.

As long as they are a moderator.

Amaury likes this.
  7. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

In XenForo, an administrator's function is to do administrative tasks: manage accounts, nodes, add-ons, styles, options, etc.

In XenForo, a moderator's function is to do moderation tasks: edit posts, delete posts, approve posts, move posts, warning, etc.

An administrator and a moderator perform two entirely separate functions, and are distinguished within XenForo. Can you accomplish having an administrator get all the permissions of a moderator? Yes, is it recommended? No. I know on my site I have administrators that have access to nothing but managing users since they need to add them to appropriate user groups. They are not intended to moderate my forums, they are not moderators.

Amaury likes this.
  8. Dubbed Navigator

Having them in a moderation group isnt a problem, I have a few of mine like so and it just doubles them up in the staff listing which makes it look untidy. Its more cosmetic than anything

I see your points, and they do make logical sense

9. Brogan

They don't need to be in the Moderators user group.

Just promote them as moderators.

10. Dubbed Navigator

Apologies, that is what I meant. Doing it that way produces them as doubles as I said,

11. Brogan

Amaury likes this.
  12. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

What do you mean it doubles them? All our administrators have moderator privileges, and they don't show up twice.

13. Dubbed Navigator

It lists people as the moderators and the admins, or is it supposed to be like that? ignore the supermods. Maybe i need to tweak it

upload_2014-4-24_21-30-29.png

14. Brogan

You will need to contact the developer of the add-on for support with that.

Even so, it is still accurate.
    Each of those functions is different.

Amaury likes this.