Admin Talk Interviews Scott Molinari of vb-germany

great interview! (y)

I am sharing the same opinions, although they are unheard or being neglected :eek:

Anyway, time will tell......

One of the worst things I am seeing currently are the "Disqus" and "Facebook comments" kind of embedded discussion happening around the Internet. They don't really solve a problem, which I think is very big currently….. an online community software based around a discussion engine. Let me explain the issue I see. Most forum software out there have built a forum first and then try to extend from that. What you end up with is a half-ass CMS or some bolt-on article system for the "front-page". And most CMS systems try to integrate a discussion system into the CMS. So you end up with a half-ass discussion system and a forum with a lot to be desired and neither are integrated really well. The software that has a great discussion system, which is an integral part of the CMS, will probably be the winner in the future. At least, that is my vision. Because, as I said, I feel "online discussion" is actually the most important concept on the internet. Between people and their interests, their discussions are the most interactive and more importantly useful resource out there. Facebook caught on to this interactivity, but Facebook connects people by personal relationship and not really by their interests. Forums do this and do it well and I feel there is still room for a lot of improvement with online community.

The forum users out there are people and there is only one base of "people" out there. If you have a user on your forum, that person isn't "your" user. They are "a" user of your forum, on your site and they could very well be "a" user of another forum on another site (even your competition). Sure, they might have a different username, but they are still just one person. It is this "but they are my users" attitude of too many forum owners have or even the ability to differentiate users between forums (and the anonymity), which is hurting us all against social network sites like Facebook. Facebook doesn't have a user ownership or differentiation problem. Most Facebook users are "real" people too. Well, for the most part they are.

Forum owners need to just stop thinking about the users as "their users" and more on how they can make the user's experience better to gain their interest. Interest is what builds a forum, interest in discussing the main topics a forum is built around, interest in adding positively to the knowledge base within the online community by answering questions or even by asking good questions. Interest in sharing opinions freely, openly and decently. Interest in joining and interest in participating.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xen-media-gallery-paid.49067/page-12#post-534008

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-oauth-login-authentication.48218/

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/turn-xf-into-pinforo.29887/

:coffee:

There are so many good beers here.:) My favorite is the local pilsner beer from Karlsberg. (not to be confused with the Danish beer Carlsberg). I also like Bitburger and Warsteiner. We actually have a Hooters here not too far away and they server Warsteiner.

Hmm...I don't think it would be appropriate to answer that question here. Well, I don't think Kier, Mike or Ashley would appreciate me selling my ideas for a new system here on their forum, so I've answered your question on Admin-Talk.

Scott
I read it and it reminds me of IPB who also offers a service.

Yes, for someone who doesn't know what PaaS is, it could sound similar, but believe me, what we are doing is nothing like the hosted version of IPB. Nothing at all.

Scott

Scott understood. Thank you for the other reply.
I mostly get your point about "my users" versus the global pool of users who are people with different memberships. Interesting - but there are also good reasons why forums will atill function well, alongside your platform.

Absolutely! We don't want to replace forums. We want to offer an alternative.:)

Scott

There are so many good beers here.:) My favorite is the local pilsner beer from Karlsberg. (not to be confused with the Danish beer Carlsberg). I also like Bitburger and Warsteiner.

Scott, as someone originally from the US, don't you miss all the wonderful microbreweries? Don't get me wrong - I grew up with German beer! :D But to me all these German Pilsners taste similarly good, whereas some of those US microbreweries are just wonderful. Fat Tire is a good one, for example.

Actually, the microbrewery scene wasn't really a scene until after I left the US in 1985. So I never had a real chance to get to like any of those beers. I was also 19, when I joined the Air Force and a year later I was in Germany. So I hadn't drank too much US beer (legally) before that.;)

Scott

I don't expect the interview to be 1 page long, more like 10 page long. :)
J/K!
I always enjoyed s.molinari's post over at vb.com and taz!

Scott, as someone originally from the US, don't you miss all the wonderful microbreweries? Don't get me wrong - I grew up with German beer! :D But to me all these German Pilsners taste similarly good, whereas some of those US microbreweries are just wonderful. Fat Tire is a good one, for example.
LOVE Fat Tire. There's been a lot of of great microbreweries popping up. Where I grew up in Michigan, you have breweries like Founder's and Bell's - fantastic beer. (y)

Top Bottom