Not planned Admin Breadcrumb phrases and Admin Navigation items should NOT share same phrases

Luxus

XenForo has some inconsistencies in the ACP. Some navigations items start with "List xxx" and some not. I added to lots of navigations links "List" to make it more clear what those navigation items do. However since admin navigation items and breadcrumb items share the same phrases, I get something like this:

listmods.webp

and this:

listoptions.webp

Actions should not be in breadcrumb items. So I suggest for the sake of consistency to use separate phrases for breadcrumb items and admin navigation links.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Maybe it will change in the long term (think 2.0+ level), but in the short term, this won't happen.

We derive the breadcrumbs from the admin nav. The whole system is designed around this.

So on that basis, I'm going to tag this as a "no thanks".

Well, that's a bummer. But why need something like this to be done in a new X.x.x branch? It's just a few more phrases and template changes. Nothing will change except users have more flexibility to customize the look of the ACP. You can still use the same phrases for breadcrumb items and navigation items.

@Mike: I am talking about this:

pic1.webp

Why do you have "List Notices" and then only "Options"? The breadcrumb of "List Notices" looks like this:

notices.webp

No "List" in the breadcrumb. Why can't the same be done with the other navgiation links? What justifies the presence of "List" in the notices link and what justifies the absence of "List" in the options link? To me this is definitely an inconsistency that can be fixed just with a simple x.x.X release.

Your original suggestion asked for different phrases to be used for the breadcrumb than the admin nav. That would fundamentally change how the breadcrumbs are built (automatically). That's hardly a bug fix.

What you're pointed out here is partially separate and it has to do with what the "selected" nav item is. I could only point you to the code to fully understand how it works as it's nuanced.

That would fundamentally change how the breadcrumbs are built (automatically).
I think I see know. Breadcrumb items take their names from the navigation items. Options take the name from the options link and Notices take the name from the notices link. However there is a difference between the options link and the notices link:

notices2.webp

The notices heading is actually a clickable link, but the options heading not. This means that the notices breadcrumb item takes its name from the notices heading and the options breadcrumb item takes its name from the options link below the heading. Some other navigation headings in the ACP are clickable and some not. Yeah, I finally understand the logic behind this. This is all how it works. I guess I need to update my language pack before release. Thanks for the explanation Mike, much appreciated.

Top Bottom