1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AddThis found using undetected cookie-like tracking mechanism

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by TeflonDon, Jul 22, 2014.

1. TeflonDon

TeflonDon Well-Known Member

2. dawg

dawg Well-Known Member

Dont use it and never will. thanks for the article.

3. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

This could be implemented to xenForo`s core to help fight against frequent spammers that target individual sites. ;)

4. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

I share things all the time on Facebook with no problems, though I personally have sharing off on KH-Flare.

5. TeflonDon

This is not something that will cause a "problem" per se, just a dishonest business practice in my opinion. There's no current way besides using Tor to protect yourself from being "fingerprinted" by AddThis and having them track you.

6. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    otto, sami simo and TeflonDon like this.
  7. erich37

8. The Forum Heroes

The Forum Heroes Well-Known Member

Find all their tracking IPs and block them in your home firewall in your router. Then they can't reach you to update.

9. TeflonDon

I don't really personally care about myself being tracked, its more about the principal of what they're doing that I don't agree with.

otto and Amaury like this.
  10. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Same.

11. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright Well-Known Member

12. erich37

ditch AddThis from XenForo.

:coffee:

13. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Why?

14. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

i ditched it the day this thread was posted.
    addthis can spin it however they wish, but they were caught with their pants down.

erich37 likes this.
  15. erich37

are there any alternatives for "Sharing" instead of using "AddThis"-software ?

16. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

AddThis is coming under increasing scrutiny for profiling what users type on forums/websites, including very private data, search data and selling such profiles to very unethical clients.

17. erich37

@Mike

any comment from XenForo about using "AddThis"-service ?

18. erich37

Alfa1 and otto like this.
  19. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

As said in the article. It's a really specific situation. Even with the precedent this may set for the time being, it's not going to be a huge deal. Worst case scenario if I am reading this right the like button should come up with the same sort of dialog facebook apps use when asking for permission to send or retrieve data from facebook.

20. Alfa1

Alfa1 Well-Known Member

We can expect to hear more about this in the future. The amount of data that these trackers are gathering goes way beyond simply tracking who goes where and watches what. It removes forum anonymity and indexes what people type on forums, private messages and anywhere on any site. This happens while people have no idea this is being done. Nor that data between sites can be combined in far reaching manners. The data is then resold to national and foreign commercial parties including insurance agencies, financial organizations, health organizations, etc, etc.

The data is being used to refuse services, contracts, jobs, insurance to people because what they privately type on websites puts them in a risk category.

Its really doubtful these practices are all legal.

StarArmy and sami simo like this.