Addon Section Fair Use?

The only thing I personally as an end user have a problem with is actually closing the threads, even if you make clear that you won't offer support I think they should be left open so if someone has a basic problem or in fact any problem they can receive support from anyone in the community who might be willing to help on that thread without having to register on another forum. If you've made it clear that to get your personal support they need to join your site then you're under no obligation to help but if someone else can provide the answer to their question/issue then that should be allowed rather than forcing people to go somewhere they don't actually need to go and in the worse cases possibly pay for support which in the end might only be a very small fix that could have been solved for free if the original thread allowed comments.

I love the community on xenforo.com and I very much believe that that community wants to help other members within it and if that's possible then it should be kept within that community.

The only thing I personally as an end user have a problem with is actually closing the threads, even if you make clear that you won't offer support I think they should be left open so if someone has a basic problem or in fact any problem they can receive support from anyone in the community who might be willing to help on that thread without having to register on another forum. If you've made it clear that to get your personal support they need to join your site then you're under no obligation to help but if someone else can provide the answer to their question/issue then that should be allowed rather than forcing people to go somewhere they don't actually need to go and in the worse cases possibly pay for support which in the end might only be a very small fix that could have been solved for free if the original thread allowed comments.

Exactly my point and the original intention of the thread...

It's ironic that some are talking about selfishness and gratitude when you look at what's been directed at sadikb.

Your starting to sound familiar. Your point? Since your thriving off this thread at the expense of contributors you'll soon learn the backfiring process isn't a pleasant one and hurts only the community. The moment when people contribute and they starting getting harassed there really is something wrong.

Your starting to sound familiar. Your point? Since your thriving off this thread at the expense of contributors you'll soon learn the backfiring process isn't a pleasant one and hurts only the community. The moment when people contribute and they starting getting harassed there really is something wrong.

You should look at what you've written then read back on what I quoted and responded to earlier. Similar?

You should look at what you've written then read back on what I quoted and responded to earlier. Similar?

I've read everything. If I have to explain (again) then your truly not understanding <insert whatever you like here>.......

Since your enjoying the freebies have you (anyone) really got any right in saying how an author release his/her stuff? No? Nobody has except the author that spent the time on the <insert resource here> pending it conforms to the guidelines that xenforo owners have allowed/set <staying on-topic> whether or not a thread is closed or open is irrelevant, the person has that right to provide support for it wherever they choose, their time they gave, their expertise there choice </the end based on a true story>.

I agree with Shelley but as I've said I do believe that the openess of the thread is important because if it's open then it allows people to get free support from the community even if the original author only provides support on their site.

I agree with Shelley but as I've said I do believe that the openess of the thread is important because if it's open then it allows people to get free support from the community even if the original author only provides support on their site.

I agree that this thread needs to remain opened, and that this issue of authors being harassed needs to be tackled because the fact of the matter is that xenforo will lose these contributors which only hurts the members that appreciate the authors efforts and xenforo resources growing into something substantial.

The moment you lose the resource submitting members everyone in all areas loses out.

I honestly feel developers, designers, stylers need to band together when a small proportion of the people who do nothing but complain and ridicule authors should have a restriction imposed that is at the disposal of the authors hands. Example, say the same person harasses that author he/she should have the ability to ban (whether it's perm or temp via time limit) that user from downloading/using that resource in their resource thread. Perhaps a feature that should be included when the resource manager is implemented.

Like I said, It's a growing issue here and it really does need tackling with some kind of solution being met. These are actually people giving up their free time for crying out loud.

I think there are key differences between customers (users of add-ons, styles, etc. who expect to be able to discuss things with the creators at XF.com) and developers (people who freely give us their time, or charge very little for it and who want to offer support for it [or not] under their own terms, which may or may not be via XF.com):
  • Customers - are likely going to want everything in one place; it just makes it easier to manage all the different "extras" and gives you a single source for updating and offering feedback, and all under one roof with one unified login.
  • Developers - are likely to want to develop and support their offerings in their own place; their site, that they control, and where they can set things up in a way that best suits them.
The two are diametrically opposed.

I can understand customers not wanting to have 10 different logins for support sites for each add-on they use, and equally developers not wanting to have to provide (repeatative) support in two places at once (their own site and XF.com).

Perhaps a better use for this thread might be to look at ways of bridging the gap, or even just accepting that both sides want the same thing - just in different ways?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Like I said, It's a growing issue here and it really does need tackling with some kind of solution being met. These are actually people giving up their free time for crying out loud.
Ok, let me start with the fact that I have been a fan of your work since you have been contributing your resources at "the other site", Shelley. I really have. However, my understanding has always been that members of any forum community share their work out of free choice...no one is pushing or forcing them to give up their free time.

Having said that, their spirit for investing time and effort towards both the betterment of the forum software as well as the community that surrounds it, which includes other developers, resource contributors etc. must indeed be appreciated, acknowledged and respected. E.g. the ubiquitous Moods addon, both for vBulletin as well as Xenforo came into being out of the hard work of two different resource contributors (one of whom was you yourself)...and I don't think I really need to say any more about how popular that addon was and is. :)

I've read everything. If I have to explain (again) then your truly not understanding <insert whatever you like here>.......

Since your enjoying the freebies have you (anyone) really got any right in saying how an author release his/her stuff? No? Nobody has except the author that spent the time on the <insert resource here> pending it conforms to the guidelines that xenforo owners have allowed/set <staying on-topic> whether or not a thread is closed or open is irrelevant, the person has that right to provide support for it wherever they choose, their time they gave, their expertise there choice </the end based on a true story>.

This is a complete strawman Shelley :) no one is trying to force anyone's hand at doing anything. To suggest otherwise is an outright fallacy. This thread was to discuss an observation, the OP gave his opinion.

I honestly feel developers, designers, stylers need to band together when a small proportion of the people who do nothing but complain and ridicule authors should have a restriction imposed that is at the disposal of the authors hands. Example, say the same person harasses that author he/she should have the ability to ban (whether it's perm or temp via time limit) that user from downloading/using that resource in their resource thread. Perhaps a feature that should be included when the resource manager is implemented.

I agree. If customers are only offering negative responses and not constructive feedback, then yes, disallow their use of the resources section.

I do think constructive discussion is useful though and can often lead to positive changes that might not have been considered had the discussion not taken place.

I really don't get people who knock developers and people who give free help - I can't think of anything that would put someone off more; it would certainly disuade someone, over time, from contributing strongly.

Equally, customers and users should be allowed the opportunity to provide positive feedback, and that should be encouraged as it does have a use.

Maybe as XF moves forward it'll be worked out in a way that we can pretty much all get along with.

I hope so, as I feel XF is a very positive and technically knowledgable place!!! (y)

Cheers,
Shaun :D

This is a complete strawman Shelley :) no one is trying to force anyone's hand at doing anything. To suggest otherwise is an outright fallacy. This thread was to discuss an observation, the OP gave his opinion.

It's not an observation from an authors perspective, The locked threads and constant harassment of authors which is relevant to this thread is a reality. Whether you choose to ignore that is certainly your privilege.

It's not an observation from an authors perspective, The locked threads and constant harassment of authors which is relevant to this thread is a reality. Whether you choose to ignore that is certainly your privilege.
:)

Well Shelley if a poster is genuinely harassing an author in their release thread that's an issue I hope gets flagged to the mods via reporting. If theres a long standing frustration at the posting nature of some individuals maybe that explains some of the reaction that was directed at sadikb and others. FWIW I don't think there's anything wrong with what sadikb brought up but I think it was harsh that he seemed to get a lot of other stuff chucked at him that was undeserved and unrelated.

Someone posted above about bridging the divide, I think that would be a good idea. I also think genuine feedback shouldn't be taken so negatively on the flip side of that if you're being harassed on a regular basis by certain individuals that needs to be addressed.

If an author wants his or her thread closed for whatever reason and a moderator does infact close it people should just respect that...end of story.

It is very simple.

How is this any different from a moderator closing a thread and someone making a new one to bypass that. It is direct insubordination.

Code:
int respect()
{
  int Hierarchy[] = {1,2,3,4,5};

for (int& i: Hierarchy)
  {
    std::cout << i;
  }

return 0;
}

Well Shelley if a poster is genuinely harassing an author in their release thread that's an issue I hope gets flagged to the mods via reporting. If theres a long standing frustration at the posting nature of some individuals maybe that explains some of the reaction that was directed at sadikb and others. FWIW I don't think there's anything wrong with what sadikb brought up but I think it was harsh that he seemed to get a lot of other stuff chucked at him that was undeserved and unrelated.

Someone posted above about bridging the divide, I think that would be a good idea. I also think genuine feedback shouldn't be taken so negatively on the flip side of that if you're being harassed on a regular basis by certain individuals that needs to be addressed.

I can only speak for myself. I am not frustrated by sadikb creating this thread, I'm actually quite thankful for it's creation due to a growing problem (as stated earlier in this thread). It would have been nice because the issue is floris's thread being closed that he could have been contacted privately or better still as a gesture for a free add-on register to his site not because you need support but a way to thank him. I just feel highlighting someone's contribution was the wrong way to go. So what folks have to register to a 3rd party site to get support there is absolutely nothing at all wrong about this.

As for bridging the divide, there is no divide and there's no need for any bridge to be erected. It's upto the author whom is spending the time creating their resource to post how they choose (conforming to the guidelines of course) and it's nobody's right to dictate to them how they release their resources. I'm sorry if this comes across as me being an idiot (although i feel like one for being so giving) let's just say it wouldn't matter if you posted your resource here for free, kept the thread opened and/or submitted more resources here than your own site people would still complain, harass however you would like to put it because sometimes creating a fuss is far far easier than just being thankful.

Not saying your not thankful to you or the OP but the way this thread was created could have been done better because trying to get a rule enforced will (I guarantee you this) drive the true contributors away.

/out

Top Bottom