adding * to 3letter search limitation

Just change the minimum word count for your own installation.

Why can't I search for words with 3 characters or less?
This is a limitation of the MySQL Full Text search function. Find more information on the MySQL site.
Note that with XenForo 1.1 and above, it is now possible to set the minimum word length in the ACP -> Options -> Search Options: Search Minimum Word Length; this value must correspond with the MySQL full text minimum word length in the my.cnf configuration file.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180445

That thread used a very specific set of criteria, which is really resolved with an option in 1.1 anyway. Ultimately, you'd need root access to your server to change the MySQL configuration.

That thread used a very specific set of criteria, which is really resolved with an option in 1.1 anyway. Ultimately, you'd need root access to your server to change the MySQL configuration.

hi mike

yes 3 letter word can be set in my.cnf BUT
not all xf customers have full root access.

majority of websites are hosted on shared hosting without full root access.
and most webhosting companies are not into the idea of changing the min word length in my.cnf just for you.

so to help the xf customers without full root access,
having an option to add * at before or after the 3letter word is a trick to search even if not 100% accurate.

and not all forum members know how to search with *.
all they know is type in searchbox and enter .

so an option to add * in next version is very helpful :)

Top Bottom