1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Adding own buttons to the Editor Toolbar

Discussion in 'Development Tutorials [Archive]' started by ragtek, Aug 16, 2011.

1. ragtek

ragtek Guest

In this tutorial you'll see how you can extend/customize the xenforo editor.

In my plugin, i've added a button, which is opening a div container under the editor
    (Demo Video: http://ragtek.org/videos/editortemplates.htm )

As first, you need to create a folder with your tinyMCE plugin and place it in /js/tinymce/plugins/

In my case it's

More infos can be found here => http://www.tinymce.com
    2. create a template hook event listener, to add the necessary changes to the template.

case 'editor_js_setup':
    $search "var plugins = '";
    $replace "var plugins = 'editortemplate,";
    $contents str_replace($search$replace$contents);
    $addToTemplate ",\ntheme_xenforo_buttons2 : 'bold,italic,underline,strikethrough,|,justifyleft,justifycenter,justifyright,|,bullist,numlist,outdent,indent,|,link,unlink,image,xenforo_media,xenforo_custom_bbcode,|,xenforo_code,|,|,editortemplate'";
    $contents $contents $addToTemplate;
    In line 3 i'm adding my "editortemplate" to the xenforo default plugins.
    In line 7 i'm replacing the toolbar buttons with my own version => i've added 2 seperators | and my editortemplate button

That's it:)
    If you now load the editor, you'll see your new button.
    (Attention: with this way, ONLY 1 PLUGIN will be able to add own buttons)

I wish there was a easier way for this:( in vBulletin it's much easier:(

(Will be continued)

Demo: www.ragtek.org/xenforo

Attached Files:

2. Panupat

Panupat Well-Known Member

That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing Ragtek.

I do hope Kier or Mike would come up with an official bbcode manager that can add buttons by itself soon
    cclaerhout likes this.
  3. cellarius

cellarius Active Member

4. Hoffi

Hoffi Well-Known Member

this in the hook listener should add some code if another addon changes the Icons.

case 'editor_tinymce_init':
                        if (
    strpos($content,'theme_xenforo_buttons2') !== false)
    $lines explode("\n",$content);
                            foreach (
    $lines as $k => $line)
                                if (
    $line[$k] .= ",|,editortemplate";
    $content .= ",\ntheme_xenforo_buttons2 : 'bold,italic,underline,strikethrough,|,justifyleft,justifycenter,justifyright,|,bullist,numlist,outdent,indent,|,link,unlink,image,xenforo_media,xenforo_custom_bbcode,|,xenforo_code,|,|,editortemplate'";
    untestet. I am still at development for my AddOn. It should also work with preg_replace instead of explode and foreach.
  5. MarcosPreviato

MarcosPreviato Active Member

Work for me!