Adding a New Option to Threads

Lawrence

I have a new field I added to threads that will be displayed in forum view with the threads.

I've read up on different ways, such as using $session or $GLOBALS to send the new field to the datawriter.

But I tried another method, that I couldn't find here that I used, and want to know if there are any drawbacks to it.

We know on actionAddThread that a check is made to ensure the new thread to be saved came via post only. So what I did is this in my controller:
Code:
        $forumId = $this->_input->filterSingle('node_id', XenForo_Input::UINT);
        $forumName = $this->_input->filterSingle('node_name', XenForo_Input::STRING);

$ftpHelper = $this->getHelper('ForumThreadPost');
        $forum = $ftpHelper->assertForumValidAndViewable($forumId ? $forumId : $forumName);

$myNewField = $this->_input->filterSingle('my_new_field', XenForo_Input::STRING);
/*
... code for permission check...
... code to look for a specific syntax, and if found change $myNewField to reflect it, and then were done
so send it back to $_POST['my_new_field']
*/
        $_POST['my_new_field'] = $myNewField;

return parent::actionAddThread();

and in the DW, as I know $_POST is there (but I check for it anyway, you never know...):

Code:
    protected function _discussionPreSave()
    {
        $myNewField = isset($_POST[''my_new_field']) ? $_POST['my_new_field'] : '';

/*
... some validation checks to throw the message to my new field if required.
*/
        $this->set(''my_new_field', $myNewField);

return parent::_discussionPreSave();
    }

I've tested the above, and it works as expected (my controllers changes are reflected in the $_POST[''my_new_field']). As I never came across the option here to simply change the $_POST field in the controller public proxy, is there any negatives to it that I'm missing. It works, and doesn't seem as hacky, :)

Last edited:
I would argue it is hacky, but certainly no more or less than any of the other methods :)

With this specific scenario, all you can ever hope for is it will work, which this appears as though it would so, yeah, no major drawbacks.

Top Bottom