XF 2.2 Add the Help page sidenav to every page

Alternadiv

I've been trying to inject the sidenav that is built into the Help page into every page including the forum list. I got close to getting this to work but it wasn't displaying entirely correct.

Anyone have any suggestions? I know it would be similar to putting a sidebar widget on every page but that isn't quite the same since the Help page has actual controls built into the XF admin panel.

Last edited:
I haven't explored this but, try looking for it under widgets while in dev mode
I just came back to mention that actually.

I went into dev mode and created a new position called global_sidenav. Then I made a new widget and chose the new global_sidenav location. I then put <div class="p-body-sideNav"><xf:widgetpos id="global_sidenav" /></div> into PAGE_CONTAINER above the area that starts talking about sidenav stuff. (This will put your custom widget on every single page on the left side of the content. It should also automatically work as an off canvas menu on mobile view).

Now I just need to keep going and make this work with the built in Help pages sidenav instead of the widget I just made.

Is there a solution here though?

I mean showing the help page list in the RH sidebar?
I’m trying to show the list on the left sidenav because the left sidenav works a little differently and becomes an off-canvas menu on mobile view.

The issue I’m having is that I can’t successfully pull the data from the help page list and put it into other templates; doing so has only given me an empty list without the links.

I’m trying to repurpose the built in help pages system to be used as a regular column navigation that you’d see on other types of websites.

I can’t successfully pull the data from the help page list and put it into other templates; doing so has only given me an empty list without the links.
The data likely aren't exposed to other templates.

Most likely it will need some form of custom development, or manually creating the links using an HTML widget.

The data likely aren't exposed to other templates.

Most likely it will need some form of custom development, or manually creating the links using an HTML widget.
That’s what I figured. I tried looking through some of the XF files so I could add it to the templates I want but I hardly know how PHP works so that idea didn’t last long, lol.

I realized there are PHP callback widgets you can create and I think that will be the answer to getting the Help sidenav data into a widget. But I haven't figured out the proper class/method to get this working yet; a lot of methods seem like they would work. Any suggestions?

The PHP callback widget does not include a box for you to define HTML, it offers only a Class and Method controls, which allow you to have the widget call custom PHP code, which will be responsible both for fetching any data and for rendering the final HTML.

Top Bottom