Add QR Code to Sharing options

Alpha1

Every piece of XF content can be shared and the Share function offers various sharing options. With QR code people can share an URL simply by scanning it with a mobile phone. This is very useful for when two people want to show each other a page without having to type the whole url into their mobile device.

I suggest to add a QR code icon to the Share buttons:

When this is clicked display an overlay with the QR code pointing to the page. Also allow for download of the image.

Upvote 18
Fhe overlay is nice but it would be neat if the QR share option would be smaller and centered below share options in just the share widget.

Or, an option of both. QR is heavily used here, but it's "in your face".

I'm sure if they implement how you suggest, template modifications can be used to accomplish the 2nd display manner (underneath) as the image would could be be like /qr/uniqueidentifier#.

Hmm, is this still an open suggestion?

Displaying a QR code should be possible by now with major mobile browsers via web share API which XenForo 2.2+ uses.

I saw a custom style for one of the forums. The feature of sharing thread links via QR codes was already there. It's a nice feature with many useful uses, and it's not difficult to add.

No, it's not difficult to add - but my question was how useful would it really be?

Mobile devices already should be able to show a QR code via web share API.

So basically this would only be used on desktop.

Honestly, is there a significant demand to share links from desktop via a QR code?

Last edited:
I don't think its really useful, but I was a bit bored so I implemented it anyway, lol :D

Mobile devices already should be able to show a QR code via web share API.
Please explain what you mean by this.
On a mobile device I see no simple option to share this very thread by QR code. (Android with Firefox browser)
The share function at the bottom of the page does not bring up any QR sharing option. My suggestion is to have it added there.

On a mobile device I see no simple option to share this very thread by QR code. (Android with Firefox browser)
The share function at the bottom of the page does not bring up any QR sharing option. My suggestion is to have it added there.
I have a galaxy s8. The phone is god knows how many years old and it's here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231105-231633_Chrome.webp
    Screenshot_20231105-231633_Chrome.webp
    39.4 KB · Views: 15
That's the problem ;)
Firefox has not implemented this directly for WebShare:

Share (on browsers that support WebShare) is controlled by the browser, it is not possible for a Website / App to add functionality there.

So this has to be done by browser developers - Chrome has such a feature.

A workaround that should work with all WebShare capable browsers:
Install a QR Code generator app and choose this as the share target; this also works with Firefox.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231106-002802_Firefox.webp
    Screenshot_20231106-002802_Firefox.webp
    37.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
A workaround that should work with all WebShare capable browsers:
Install a QR Code generator app and chose this as target; this also works with Firefox.
I think it's irrelevant if tech savvy admins can get it to work. The end user who knows nothing about technology should be able to use it in a simple easy way. Practically no one is going to mess around to get it to work. If the QR code is not there, then it will not be used. I'd expect that even if it's there but not immediately clear to people, it would also not get used.

Your addon nicely advertises the functionality. This is useful. Something like that would be useful for mobile devices.

Firefox and Opera do not support webshare. But weirdly enough Samsung internet browser should, but this does not show a QR code.

Quite a few mobile browsers do not support webshare fully.

Last edited:
If the QR code is not there, then it will not be used. I'd expect that even if it's there but not immediately clear to people, it would also not get used.
Even if it was there I pretty much doubt it would get used much.

There isn't much XenForo or an Add-on could do (except adding an additional control which would, at least for posts, clutter the interface).

As said before, this is really smth. that needs to be done by browsers.
Firefox is kinda niche and I therefore wouldn't worry too much - Chrome (and I think Safari as well) do offer share via QR.

Firefox and Opera do not support webshare.
They do (on Android at least) :)

If they did not there would be no
Screenshot_20231106-005142_Opera.jpg
but individual share options
Screenshot_20231106-005309_Opera.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom