Implemented Add option to disable Images in sigs (without totally disabling sigs)

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
I get the feeling this is already an option. I know that on my forum, images are disabled in signatures. A signature isn't a place for overly excessive images, it's a place for a piece of text relating to the user.

I'd love to have the option to disable/hide all images in members' signatures, instead of having to turn signatures completely off. (Especially animated sig images, ugh)

Thanks for considering this.

couldn't agree more about animated sigs +1

I get the feeling this is already an option. I know that on my forum, images are disabled in signatures. A signature isn't a place for overly excessive images, it's a place for a piece of text relating to the user.

see here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-signature-options.2635/

First before you read anymore take note that you are the only person I'm currently following so It should be obvious i share your logic and respect it.

I hinted at what your saying James in the above thread as I saw this coming way before this conversation. I would have to say for me a sig is a place I use to represent me. Say I think words are just not enough... either way your logic as well as mine are both opinions and the limitations of a signature are set by an admin...jussayin. I don't use facebook, twitter ect... my personal space is my signature area wherever I go and i use it to display my feelings, mood or current activities. To say what a signature is for would be to juxtaposition your view over anothers and would be no different than me saying showing your status/trophies on a signature is wrong because you can check someones trophy status just by clicking on their avatar and looking at the overlay popup. Again were both saying we have needs that are different. I'm not saying your wrong however my point with this is the signature options need to be beefed up a bit and I thought that since I started with "the other guy"and that is the ultimate reason we need more options for signature display/permissions ...simply because there is enough different needs. Which is why I thought it necessary to start a thread discussion of what modifications would be the most useful in regards to signatures and have the first post updated as the thread grows so it's easier to see the compiled results of peoples ideas/needs.

I'd love to have the option to disable/hide all images in members' signatures, instead of having to turn signatures completely off. (Especially animated sig images, ugh)

agreed. i also expect a rel=nofollow for the signs. :)

couldn't agree more about animated sigs +1

see here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/suggestion-signature-options.2635/

First before you read anymore take note that you are the only person I'm currently following so It should be obvious i share your logic and respect it.

I hinted at what your saying James in the above thread as I saw this coming way before this conversation. I would have to say for me a sig is a place I use to represent me. Say I think words are just not enough... either way your logic as well as mine are both opinions and the limitations of a signature are set by an admin...jussayin. I don't use facebook, twitter ect... my personal space is my signature area wherever I go and i use it to display my feelings, mood or current activities. To say what a signature is for would be to juxtaposition your view over anothers and would be no different than me saying showing your status/trophies on a signature is wrong because you can check someones trophy status just by clicking on their avatar and looking at the overlay popup. Again were both saying we have needs that are different. I'm not saying your wrong however my point with this is the signature options need to be beefed up a bit and I thought that since I started with "the other guy"and that is the ultimate reason we need more options for signature display/permissions ...simply because there is enough different needs. Which is why I thought it necessary to start a thread discussion of what modifications would be the most useful in regards to signatures and have the first post updated as the thread grows so it's easier to see the compiled results of peoples ideas/needs.
I agree here. A simple 'Allow images in signatures' should be enough to please everybody.

I think I also suggested this somewhere but I like the idea. When having many posts loading up in threads, signatures with images make page loading slower without helping the reader much and I find them quite distracting especially when the images are so large.

You mean from the 'UserCP' or from the admin side? I guess the first?

I think he means as a user on a site, with a preference, so you can:

- Show signatures ([x] with images)
- Don't show signatures

I think he means as a user on a site, with a preference, so you can:

- Show signatures ([x] with images)
- Don't show signatures

Yes, I thought so. If this is the case, I am totally in favor of it. I have just disabled signatures on here, because I became totally distracted by all the freakin%%$% signatures images... forcing away my focus on the content! :mad:

I am glad I can turn off signatures, I completely turn it off here :)

I just fill up my own signature for those who enjoy images in signatures :D haha. Naj, just testing things to see what fun we can have with the data from XF.

Are there any such function in XenForo now? I bumped an old thread here. I have some members who insists on having large animated gif's of several MB's - and it just slows down whole threads. I need to disable images in sigs (if this is possible), not sigs alltogether.

You can disable editing signatures on a per user group or user basis.
You would then have to remove all signatures using an SQL query though.

You can also block images in signatures by adding this to EXTRA.css

Code:
/* Block images, quote and code from signatures */
.signature .bbCodeBlock,
.signature .bbCodeImage {
display: none !important;
}

Code:
.signature .bbCodeBlock,
}
perfect...:-)
I have a add-on to disallow images in the signature on a usergroup basis.
Interested?:D
I was just reading this thread like 5-10 mins ago and it got me thinking about something along the lines of this. I am going to give it a rudimentary test now and see how it turns out but...maybe if I get this working we could mash up the two...if you want to hear/see my idea ragtek shoot me a pm...either way I would like to have a look at yours at some point shortly after I try my concept quickly.

Feel free to release yours.
I'm a little bit "afraid" of releasing new add-ons here, that's why i ask always if somebody needs it:D (because of the support time=>if i would release all my stuff ~100 useful mini add-ons and i would ONLY spend 1 minute with 50% of my add-ons, it would still be 100 minutes support time / day +50minutes for the google translate usage:D )

Mine is not a "dirty css hack" which loads the images and only hides them^^

Code:
.signature .bbCodeBlock,
}
That's perfect :) thanks

is there a add-on that lets you block the ava and sig of one user? pretty much looking for the ablity to give users the option to block another user sig and avatar with out disabling all the sigs and avatar on the whole forum.

Code:
.signature .bbCodeBlock,
}
Can this code be edited to also disable videos, add max number of lines, characters ?

Top Bottom