Add-on development feedback

SheepCow

As someone that's been developing and maintaining add-ons for a number of different forum applications and communities (although mostly for Deebs at FreddysHouse) I just wanted to say how well designed XenForo comes off to the developer.

The ease of extension and ability to integrate new functionality in to the base of XenForo without having it look like I've sellotaped a duck on the side of an elephant is truely excellent.

Examples being easily adding my own magical preview tooltips, integrating directly into the search so I don't have to care how it works or what it's running on and a few others sprint to mind.

Normally I'd have spent an age developing a duck, to then spend another age painting it grey so you can't see it on the elephant.

So, cheers guys.

Ironic how you used duck and elephant with a username containing Sheep and Cow ;)

I completely agree, however. The most I ever did on vBulletin was playing around with $user['musername'] and assigning a thread prefix using a custom hook. On here, I've created new identity services, custom pages, new help menus, custom navtabs. It's awesome.

As someone that's been developing and maintaining add-ons for a number of different forum applications and communities (although mostly for Deebs at FreddysHouse) I just wanted to say how well designed XenForo comes off to the developer.

The ease of extension and ability to integrate new functionality in to the base of XenForo without having it look like I've sellotaped a duck on the side of an elephant is truely excellent.

Examples being easily adding my own magical preview tooltips, integrating directly into the search so I don't have to care how it works or what it's running on and a few others sprint to mind.

Normally I'd have spent an age developing a duck, to then spend another age painting it grey so you can't see it on the elephant.

So, cheers guys.
I must say I love the analogy you used, it sure did put a smile on my face whilst reading it, haha.

So, cheers guys.

Thanks for posting.
I love hearing this.
Don't be shy about citing more examples ... I love reading them.

Just found out, how easy it is, to use the quick reply for own pages(needs only 5 lines in the template), everything else is handled by the framework.

XenForo is very well thought out and very 3rd party coder friendly(except the node system), but a nightmare without a documentation:p *scnr*

the xenforo drama queen:)
badteeth.gif

Top Bottom