Not planned Add non-binary as a default gender option

ziaxzed

This is a very quick suggestion to add "non-binary" as a default selectable gender within user details.

Currently, the default options are "Male" or "Female" (and "No selection"). Non-binary is an accepted umbrella term for those whose identities sit outside Male/Female.
Individual communities may choose to expand the number of options but Male, Female and Non-binary seem like a good default.

We have members of our community who don't identify as male or female and it was noted that there was no gender option to reflect their identity. We've added an option for "Non-binary" within our installation but I think it would be good if this was included upstream as a default option.

Also, we did a quick scan for pronoun usage within the Xenforo installation:
Phrases "this_user_will_receive_promotion_when_meets_requirements" and "this_user_not_receive_promotion_even_if_meets_requirements" both contain "...he or she meets..." in both instances this could be replaced with "...they meet..." to become gender neutral.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.

XenForo no longer has a gender field by default.

We did this explicitly because we acknowledged that the original "Male, Female and Unspecified" options would not be sufficient. If you had XenForo 1.x and updated to XenForo 2.x we converted the field to a custom field so that admins themselves can add whichever gender options they wanted to.

However, new installs starting with XenForo 2.0 no longer include a gender field at all. If it is needed, we recommend creating your own gender field with the desired options.

XenForo no longer has a gender field by default.

We did this explicitly because we acknowledged that the original "Male, Female and Unspecified" options would not be sufficient. If you had XenForo 1.x and updated to XenForo 2.x we converted the field to a custom field so that admins themselves can add whichever gender options they wanted to.

However, new installs starting with XenForo 2.0 no longer include a gender field at all. If it is needed, we recommend creating your own gender field with the desired options.
My mistake! I misread the upgrade script as I was trying to figure out where the defaults came from.

If the two phrases are used it would be nice to get those altered!

Top Bottom