1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add Linkedin as one of the identities

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by HenrikHansen, Sep 20, 2010.

1. HenrikHansen

HenrikHansen Well-Known Member

In contact details - identities, you can add skype, facebook etc. but I really miss Linkedin,
    the biggest network for professionals.

John, Luke F, krstep and 2 others like this.
  2. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

I second this.
    Has anyone able to add it and share info on how to do it?

3. ragtek

ragtek Guest

I'm against this:p

It should be easier to create own identities, so each admin could add whatever he wants, without needing to code own files, instead of adding all possible services into the core product..
    My 0.02$

4. Floris

Floris Guest

Until that's possible ragtek, I rather have linked in as a default, it's equally popular and used in professional sites as the other identities. Great suggestion, it has my vote.

That said, having an easier implementation for id-services has a huge vote too, but I understand that might not be until version 2 or 1.5 or something.

John and Luke F like this.
  5. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

Hopefully when custom fields are implemented, this will be one of the areas that uses it.

6. HydraulicJack

HydraulicJack Well-Known Member

+1 most emphatically re: LinkedIn... asap, please... At least a tutorial on how to add it as a custom link. My cornerstone social net as well.

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Adding a new identity service seems to be fairly straightforward.

I don't know what form Linked In IDs take so I just created a basic file (attached) and saved it in /library/XenForo/Model/IdentityService
    This will need to be updated to ensure correct checking of IDs.

I also created a phrase for use with the service: please_enter_valid_linkedin_id | Please enter a valid Linked In ID

Then I created the new service in the ACP as shown in the screenshot.
    linkedin.PNG

From what I can tell it seems to work.

You should be able to repeat that for any other service you want to add.

Attached Files:

Andy.N, Onimua and HydraulicJack like this.
  8. HydraulicJack

HydraulicJack Well-Known Member

BadaBING! THANKS Brogan!

9. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Are you able to use vanity name as well?
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/username

10. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Only one field is possible per identity service so you would have to specify one or the other.

The fields are just text fields though so there's nothing to stop you entering both names.

11. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Active Member

The hard part is when you want to represent them in the user profile as something other than plain text.

12. Dakis

Dakis Well-Known Member

I am trying to implement the above solution to insert the new identity service, but i get the following error:

PHP Model Class Name:
    Please specify a valid class that extends XenForo_Model.