Add Kraken.io integration

I thought of that but apparently the author is MIA and Kraken is changing their API so I doubt the add on will continue working. You can't purchase the add on and the author doesn't respond so that's a dead option unfortunately.

Should a dependency on an outside paid resource be added as a core feature? Some ways I can see it, but if they were going to do that, why not just have it so that the ability can be done on the server itself. I think (I'm not a graphics expert by far) that ImageMagick and mogrify can compress the images.
And do you expect a new release of XenForo to come out each/every time they change the API? Because the very thing commented on about the add-on possibly not working will apply to XenForo until a new version is released with use of the updated API.

Last edited:
Should a dependency on an outside paid resource be added as a core feature? Some ways I can see it, but if they were going to do that, why not just have it so that the ability can be done on the server itself. I think (I'm not a graphics expert by far) that ImageMagick and mogrify can compress the images.
And do you expect a new release of XenForo to come out each/every time they change the API? Because the very thing commented on about the add-on possibly not working will apply to XenForo until a new version is released with use of the updated API.

There are already integrations to 3rd parties such as twitter, facebook, StopForumSpam, etc. APIs don't change that often so I don't see that as a big obstacle. I haven't compared ImageMagick compression to Kraken.io but I'm in favor of any image compression built in to the core.

If you don't mind doing some manual work you can use Kraken for free. The XF attachments are in the /data/attachments/0 folder. Just use the Kraken.io web interface to compress the images and upload the files to your server.
That doesnt work as metadata are stored on the db tables which leads to tons of errors. That was the reason why the Kraken.io Addon has been developed. Unfortinatly it sems thst it is unsupported since the developer is gone missing.

See https://xenforo.com/community/resources/goodfornothing-kraken.3987/

I'm sure that there are libraries out there that can be installed on the server(s) to allow this. Why not treat it similar to ImageMagic vs GD2. If you want to use the option, one of the requirements would be to have the necessary libraries installed for the compression. That way, there is no dependence on an outside 3rd party provider for the service.

One, kraken is actually professional and doesn't look like a hobbyist site. Two, if you had to bet either of those to stay around the longest, kraken would win by far.
Kraken has been around for 2 years and is owned and run by two guys in Germany.
Optimus has been around for 18 months, and is owned and run by KeyCDN.
Kraken is $50 per year, with a 500mb per month limit. Optimus if $30 per year, with a no monthly limit.
I know which one I think is more likely to stay around and be more stable.

Just tested Optimus, here's what I didn't like about them:
  • cannot optimize files over 5MB
  • only lossless optimization with average results

Top Bottom