1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add Kraken.io integration

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Tom Nunamaker, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Tom Nunamaker

Tom Nunamaker Member

Compressing images reduces disk space and speeds up page load time. Kraken.io has an API that is easy to work with and it should be fairly simple to add support for Kraken.io into the XenForo core.

maszd, dotpro, rafass and 3 others like this.
  2. mcatze

mcatze Well-Known Member

3. Tom Nunamaker

Tom Nunamaker Member

I thought of that but apparently the author is MIA and Kraken is changing their API so I doubt the add on will continue working. You can't purchase the add on and the author doesn't respond so that's a dead option unfortunately.

4. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

Should a dependency on an outside paid resource be added as a core feature? Some ways I can see it, but if they were going to do that, why not just have it so that the ability can be done on the server itself. I think (I'm not a graphics expert by far) that ImageMagick and mogrify can compress the images.
    And do you expect a new release of XenForo to come out each/every time they change the API? Because the very thing commented on about the add-on possibly not working will apply to XenForo until a new version is released with use of the updated API.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  5. Ugur Ilmaz

Ugur Ilmaz Member

Great idea.

6. Tom Nunamaker

Tom Nunamaker Member

There are already integrations to 3rd parties such as twitter, facebook, StopForumSpam, etc. APIs don't change that often so I don't see that as a big obstacle. I haven't compared ImageMagick compression to Kraken.io but I'm in favor of any image compression built in to the core.

7. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Alternatively, https://optimus.io/en/ is a much cheaper service achieving the same result.

8. Tom Nunamaker

Tom Nunamaker Member

Kraken.io has a $5/mon plan that has been overkill for my forum.

9. Tom Nunamaker

Tom Nunamaker Member

If you don't mind doing some manual work you can use Kraken for free. The XF attachments are in the /data/attachments/0 folder. Just use the Kraken.io web interface to compress the images and upload the files to your server.

10. gfc

gfc Active Member

That doesnt work as metadata are stored on the db tables which leads to tons of errors. That was the reason why the Kraken.io Addon has been developed. Unfortinatly it sems thst it is unsupported since the developer is gone missing.

See https://xenforo.com/community/resources/goodfornothing-kraken.3987/

0ptima likes this.
  11. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Which is still 250% more than Optimus.io

12. Tracy Perry

Tracy Perry Well-Known Member

I'm sure that there are libraries out there that can be installed on the server(s) to allow this. Why not treat it similar to ImageMagic vs GD2. If you want to use the option, one of the requirements would be to have the necessary libraries installed for the compression. That way, there is no dependence on an outside 3rd party provider for the service.

13. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

14. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

If you want it in the core, I'd prefer kraken. It's cheap and it's the most credible and reliable of the options.

15. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

How do you figure that?

16. Robust

Robust Well-Known Member

One, kraken is actually professional and doesn't look like a hobbyist site. Two, if you had to bet either of those to stay around the longest, kraken would win by far.

17. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Kraken has been around for 2 years and is owned and run by two guys in Germany.
    Optimus has been around for 18 months, and is owned and run by KeyCDN.
    Kraken is $50 per year, with a 500mb per month limit. Optimus if $30 per year, with a no monthly limit.
    I know which one I think is more likely to stay around and be more stable.

18. AlexGAN

AlexGAN New Member

So we have 2 clear fans of Kraken and Optimus :)

19. AlexGAN

AlexGAN New Member

Just tested Optimus, here's what I didn't like about them:
    • cannot optimize files over 5MB
    • only lossless optimization with average results