Lack of interest Add CLI flag to build add-on without needing a full XF environment

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

NootSponge

What I mean is when building an add-on from the CLI, add a flag to the xf-addon:build-release CLI command that removes the export step, and the need for a DB connection or fully installed XF instance.

This would be especially useful for development workflows that use CI/CD to build the add-on in stuff like GitLab, and by reducing the requirement to have a fully installed XF env the runtime and resource intensity would be much lower, basically increasing the efficiency of this type of workflow.

Now, from what I can tell, this might require a big change to how these commands work since they actively use stuff like \XF::app()->service(), where the main XF class requires a DB connection and full XF env, but there might be an easier way around this that I don't know about.

For our dev workflow at EdgeGamers, having our custom add-ons build automatically with each push to a repo would be infinitely faster and easier with this being the case. Right now we have to fully install XF and have a mariadb container running for XF to work and build the add-on, which seems like something that could be improved upon.

I'm sure bigger add-on development teams who utilize git/hg repos and CI/CD would be grateful for this being added as well.

Thoughts?

Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Top Bottom