1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add all posts and descriptions to RSS content

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by Martok, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

Following on from my thread here, I'd like to suggest that the RSS content contains all posts and descriptions, not just from the first post in a thread.

This is how RSS works on phpBB. Although that software doesn't have individual feeds for forums, it does have an overall feed. The overall feed contains all posts, not just the first post from each thread.

The RSS as it currently stands in 1.2 only displays the content of the first post in a thread. Effectively all this does it highlight any new topics that are started on a forum but gives no indication of how the conversations in these topics develop.

Adding this functionality would mean that members could use RSS to keep up-to-date with reading posts.
  2. nitai.tv

nitai.tv Member

Absolutely, I fully agree. There is not much use of the present RSS feed without the recent posts content. In fact the members are getting confused just to see the first post in the feed when there are other posts actually. We can use the proper posts RSS feed with Google's feedburner to add a subscribe option for the forum mailing list. Most of my new postings and discussions are as posts rather than new threads so the Rss feed with only first thread posts is not of much use unless it is an announcement forum or a blog. A community forum needs RSS for the posts also. My request is to please add this basic option in the next update. Almost every other forum ipb, vb, phpbb, mybbb etc. have rss feeds which includes the posts in the descending order. Thanks.
    shorepower and Martok like this.
  3. shorepower

shorepower Active Member

I echo this suggestion as I posted in another thread. In a forum the thread will develop and live, adding new posts and pages. I did not know this before I moved to Xenforo and just found out when the RSS feed posted four identical entries to Twitter ( I used Twitterfeed but stopped the function).
  4. DRE

DRE Well-Known Member

There are some threads on my site that I would definitely benefit from this feature. My twitter followers would be kept better up to date on my site's public threads and would probably be more encouraged to sign up and get verified.
    shorepower likes this.
  5. BassMan

BassMan Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right, Martok. I like how RSS works on phpBB and I miss that here.

Hope XF will include this sometime.
    shorepower likes this.
  6. JamesBrown

JamesBrown Well-Known Member

My members are missing this function too. They want all posts sent to their reader rather than just the first. Hope this will be included soon (y)
  7. Martok

Martok Well-Known Member

@JamesBrown please like the first post if you would like this feature.