Add a Recent Posts link to the navigation bar

Add a Recent Posts link to the navigation bar

Paul B

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Brogan submitted a new resource:

Add a Recent Posts link to the navigation bar - Does what it says on the tin

This is something I added a long time ago on my site but I removed it prior to updating to 1.2.

Big mistake! The members went crazy!

They said it was the most useful link on the navigation bar as it allowed them to quickly and easily see all recent posts, not just unread ones.

So, for something so trivial, here is how to add it.

Look for this in the navigation template:
Code:
        <li><a href="{xen:link 'watched/threads'}">{xen:phrase watched_threads}</a></li>
    </xen:if>
    <li><a...

Read more about this resource...

But I can see the same posts/threads under New Posts and Recent Posts.

I'm not noticing any difference.

Couple months ago I added it, took it off, now I'm putting it back cause I thought it was just me that wondered about this and that I might've been tripping. Glad to know I was justified.

Thanks a lot, this is so helpful!
Is there any way to create some kind of query link (or button) to search for recent posts of the last X days? X would be an input field for the days. I have this on my current vB and would like to take it of to XF.

Change recent=1 to days=7.

Code:
<li><a href="{xen:link find-new/posts, '', 'days=7'}" rel="nofollow">{xen:phrase recent_posts}</a></li>

You mean days=7, not recent=7 - I'll try, thanks a lot! Earlier I had tried recent=7, which does not work, of course :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hi

1st post here, total coding newbie I'm afraid

my code looks a little different ..

<li><a href="{xen:link 'watched/forums'}">{xenphrase watched_forums}</a></li>
<li><a href="{xen:link 'watched/threads'}">{xenphrase watched_threads}</a></li>
</xen:if>

Would you add the new code between watched/forums & watched/threads lines or after them both but before xen:if?

Thanks for the link Brogan, as I'm not really familiar with the server file structure on our site I'd rather just play with the code for now, I'm junior joint admin :)

This looked like an easy one to get my teeth into, but wasn't sure about the difference in code

brogan does this check the node tree permissions and usergroup permissions as this looks like what need(y)

this is awesome brogan what i was looking for this for ages, under my nose as usual:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

prob is ive just tested it and if you log out you can see alot of recent posts still, ive checked the permissions and it works awesome, but i cant have guests or unregisted see it, registered see certain recents posts, ive used the cta addon as i found it after i posted here sorry, is there some code to add somewhere for me to stop guests seeing it??? ill check the permissions for registered in a mo

thanx again for this add on u r the man matey(y)(y)(y)

Top Bottom