Add a Post to Thread Silently

Alfuzzy

Is there a way to add a new post to an existing thread "silently"?

I want to add some information to some older threads via a new thread post...but don't want to "wake up" the old thread & have it show up in the "New Posts" list.

Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks

One way is to use the time editor add-on and change the time of the post to few hours ago. This is what I usually do.
Sounds interesting.

Are you creating a brand new post in the thread...or modifying an existing post? if you change the time of the post to a few hours ago...does this prevent the post from showing up in the new threads/new posts list?

The add-on description says: "Change Content Owner is an add-on that allows you to change content owner". This sounds like being able to change the member making the post from "Member A" to "Member B"...I'm guessing this is not what you're using this add-on for?

Thanks

yeah, description does not show all the features it has. Permissions table does. A newly posted post would stop appearing in new posts section as soon as you update its time/date to an old enough period. But it would appear till the time is changed. Or you can find an old post that has no value and use that and change its data/time accordingly.

1598286163832.png

If the thread is old and untouched for long, a new post with time from few hours ago would still appear at the end of the thread. 🤔

It would however still trigger emails and notifications to people subscribed to that thread. So... there's that. Moving an old existing post to the thread... Not sure if that would create a notification.

You will still wake it up because the time change is on edit only not creation. Unless you move it to a hidden or moderated forum first.

I suppose if this is not a common occurrence this way is fine. It may take some creating in one forum. editing time, moving, etc.

My primary goal is being able to add a new post to an old thread without "waking it up"...and have it appear in the "New Posts" list.

My purpose for doing this is to improve the quality of a thread...especially if a question has gone unanswered or poorly answered.

I realize I could do a "silent edit" on an existing post...but would rather add a new post & not have it show up in the "New Posts" list.

Thanks

one crazy idea is to copy a post from that thread to a temporary thread. and then move that post back to the original thread. that might work. you would get two posts with identical date and time in that thread.

one crazy idea is to copy a post from that thread to a temporary thread. and then move that post back to the original thread. that might work. you would get two posts with identical date and time in that thread.
Will the "Time Editor" add-on be able to do what I mentioned (create a new post in an older thread...and not have the new post show up in the "New Posts" list)?

Thanks

yeah this should also work. copying to a new thread and moving it back would probably provide same result!

creating a new post and then changing the date in the same thread would trigger notifications and alerts. this probably would not.

Good deal. Sounds like the "Time Editor" add-on is a good one to install regardless...and the merge threads idea will get the job done.

Thanks much for the help.:)

I was thinking af doing a combination of creating a thread in the Admin area & using the Time Editor add-on:

• Create thread in Admin area.
  • Change date with the "Time Editor" add-on (make it more in-line with the time frame of the thread).
  • Merge the threads.

Top Bottom