• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

Add-on Ad Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I seen a previous thread about this. Just from the screenshots alone this looks way better. Good job Robbo.

Ok...please for the other users interested in this addon: if you need an "Adsense Sharing feature" like my post. ;-)

Done. Even better would be if the percentage shared could be configured on a per-usergroup basis. If that makes it in there, I'd happily buy a test license, and if that works out, grab additional copies for my other sites.

Also, Robbo, how difficult would it be to get the following? A client of ours expressed interest in a Sidebar advertising module. Essentially, it will display 3 banners above one another, with the first two being static, and the third one changing upon refresh. I imagine that the slots will be sold off for different prices. I.e. "your banner becomes part of the dynamic banner pool for "n", and a "static" banner costs "n++".

I'd also like to toss in a vote for the ability for managable ads/banners for users in specific groups who can then add their banners to the pool of available banners shown.

Last question: Is there an option to display banners in the header, directly next to the logo as we have on www.entropiaplanets.com?

Thanks in advance.

The adsense sharing sounds like a popular request. So it is something I will definitely add at some point.

Currently picking which ad is shown when all criteria is true and the position is the same is random. This is because I think an advanced system is needed to customize it very specifically and track it very well. However you might be able to use date criteria to do what you want now. First 2 static ones are easily possible and then have another different for each minute or something. Although this has another issue, how to handle multiple ads in one position. If you look at http://mercenarydesign.net/ the products at the top are handled by this manager. To do this I had to use a custom code and insert HTML. I didn't use a stylesheet so everything has inline CSS. This is obviously not a good idea but I did it this way for two reasons. Firstly it only shows one ad per position so if I used a banner we would just get one product at a time. Or need one big banner and that would mean link to the products page and not individual mods. A big restriction of this mod in its current state. I have a few ideas how to handle more than one ad in each position and think I might just fallback to the assumption the admin knows what he is doing and tests properly and leave it up to them to size the ads properly and set a maximum amount of ads per position. Secondly I did it with inline CSS because I take lots of shortcuts because of so much work... aka being lazy :p
Anyways, this multi ad per position issue is currently my main focus on solving in an elegant enough way to keep down support requests.

Manage ads/banners point: I plan for one of the major updates (1.0 Beta X.x.x updates, this will stay in beta for a while yet) to add things like this. Basically a system for people to buy ad space, manage all their ads, see stats on their ads etc etc.

Yes there is a header position.

I know lots of people want revenue sharing but I'd prefer the very basic stuff first, stuff like counting how many times an ad has been clicked or shown.

I know lots of people want revenue sharing but I'd prefer the very basic stuff first, stuff like counting how many times an ad has been clicked or shown.
Yep agreed. I want to get that in, basic stats in the daily statistics page and handling multiple ads per position like explain above. Any other basic stuff like that as well and then start discussing the revenue sharing feature and get it done as well as possible. More ad types maybe as well... what I want before gold is the ability to integrate your ad provider (for whoever I support, google first) so that you can create ads from that provider from within your ACP.

I would see a larger load on the server too.
It uses caching in a way that means there are rarely any more queries run than normal. Overhead would be increased a fair bit though as it does thing in not very optimal ways (loops through all ads until it finds one with the right position and criteria set). However all this will be changed, profiled and optimized down the line.

I highly suggest you all think TWICE before doing adsense sharing with your members. Your adsense account will come under thorough review from that point on. If you have an adsense ad on the same page as a thread with a simple bikini pic, they'll disable your ads. Yes, bikini pics can get your account disabled believe it or not. It happened to me twice. Before I applied for the adsense sharing api, I never had that problem with Google. So if your going to do it, you might as well sign up for another ads network so that you can use conditionals to keep google adsense ads from showing in forums you think might end up getting your adsense ads disabled.

Hmm. Actually, with ads manager you won't need to do a conditional to exclude adsense from certain pages I don't think. I just bought this add-on so I'm going to test this out. Robbo's other modifications are great btw check them out too.

Well you could use the moderation queue for forums that have revenue sharing? I actually have no idea how revenue sharing works... like I never knew this existed lol. I'll have to do a lot of research when I add it heh.

Doesn't load. That goes for the pics in your signature as well.
Sorry. My domain host never warned me about the domain expiring for some reason and it expired about an hour ago. Only just noticed due to DNS lagging behind. I am trying to sort this out but for some reason can't get an email from the hosting company and can't remember my details (tried everything, very weird). Being 4am I just want to go to sleep :/

Something I really need is an option to set a criteria which made sure the ad would never be shown if someone was a member of a certain usergroup. Donators get added to another usergroup on our forum so we need to be able to exclude ads for them in the easiest way possible. Any chance of seeing that in beta 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom