Ad blockers

Spartan

Is there a way of blocking access to my sites for people using ad blockers, or blocking scripts (may be the same thing).

Ideally I'd like to put the code in a notice so I can assign it to certain groups.

My bottom line: Ad blockers are close to shutting my sites down. The income is needed.

Pretty much any "Ad Block Detection" can be defeated by the user turning off JavaScript. The user viewing the page always has the upper-hand.

The only option as a site Admin would be to deliver all content via JavaScript so if it was disabled there is nothing to view. Unfortunately that would be SEO suicide.

I've been down this road and the deck is simply stacked against you. From my own experience I suggest letting it go - attempt to grow numbers which increase ads- and/or appeal directly to members explaining why it is important not to block ads to support the site.

Pretty much any "Ad Block Detection" can be defeated by the user turning off JavaScript. The user viewing the page always has the upper-hand.

The only option as a site Admin would be to deliver all content via JavaScript so if it was disabled there is nothing to view. Unfortunately that would be SEO suicide.

I've been down this road and the deck is simply stacked against you. From my own experience I suggest letting it go - attempt to grow numbers which increase ads- and/or appeal directly to members explaining why it is important not to block ads to support the site.

There must be a comparable script to make users turn java on to see the site. I cam accross on just a few minutes ago.

If JavaScript (not Java big difference) is required then Spiders (like Google) can't see the content, they don't usually use JavaScript.

If JavaScript (not Java big difference) is required then Spiders (like Google) can't see the content, they don't usually use JavaScript.

I come across sites all the time hat say, "you must turn java scripts on in order to view thes site."

Must be pretty easy to do.

Displaying such an alert is easy, it's not at all recommended.

It would be recommended for a small handful of visitors who spend their time on site telling people to use an ad blocker or stopping JavaScript.

If I could target them, I'd would be worth it

Doing anything more than what I've posted in my implementation is website SUICIDE. Many websites have tried putting more restrictive methods, such as this one:

8a382ce219c63390c790063bebc20c50.png

You'll notice that any website that does something like this removes it within under a month. Yeah, you can get rid of the people who use adblock; but you greatly piss off your readers. You do way more harm than good to your viewership and will end up reversing your decisions when you see that your ad rates have plummeted because your users are going elsewhere.

Besides, if you are using such methods to avoid adblock, the better question you should be asking is "WHY are your users are so insistent on using adblock?" The message I put up in my script is just a simple request, it doesn't FORCE people to turn off adblock to view the website, and its easily circumvented with greasemonkey scripts. Its entire purpose is to make users feel like **** for using adblock and CONVINCE them to turn off adblock.

If your ads arent intrusive, many will turn off adblock. However, if your ads look like this... thats the problem:

HYgio5S.jpg

I am curious, what are you site stats, revenue, and expenses?

I am often lectured to by small sites, who don't get it, or don't rely on revenue as income.

Doing anything more than what I've posted in my implementation is website SUICIDE. Many websites have tried putting more restrictive methods, such as this one:

8a382ce219c63390c790063bebc20c50.png

You'll notice that any website that does something like this removes it within under a month. Yeah, you can get rid of the people who use adblock; but you greatly piss off your readers. You do way more harm than good to your viewership and will end up reversing your decisions when you see that your ad rates have plummeted because your users are going elsewhere.

Besides, if you are using such methods to avoid adblock, the better question you should be asking is "WHY are your users are so insistent on using adblock?" The message I put up in my script is just a simple request, it doesn't FORCE people to turn off adblock to view the website, and its easily circumvented with greasemonkey scripts. Its entire purpose is to make users feel like **** for using adblock and CONVINCE them to turn off adblock.

If your ads arent intrusive, many will turn off adblock. However, if your ads look like this... thats the problem:

HYgio5S.jpg

I am curious, what are you site stats, revenue, and expenses?

I am often lectured to by small sites, who don't get it, or don't rely on revenue as income.
I used to run a website that was so huge, at the time it was the #6 most popular website on all of the internet. The fact that my current website isn't anywhere near that popular is irrelevant.

I never understood website owners trying to block/notice people with ADblock. If I install ADblock , it is because I don't want to see ads. If you force me to see them, there is a small chance to none (more the none part) that I would never click on one of your ads. Thus, what's the point showing me the ads? Most ads, such as AdSense, work by CPM, not impressions.

I never understood website owners trying to block/notice people with ADblock. If I install ADblock , it is because I don't want to see ads. If you force me to see them, there is a small chance to none (more the none part) that I would never click on one of your ads. Thus, what's the point showing me the ads? Most ads, such as AdSense, work by CPM, not impressions.
CPM = impressions.

CPM = "cost per mil"... meaning how much you make per 1000 impressions.

It's the same argument with DVRs and TV. If everyone used their DVR to skip EVERY commercial than there would be no TV at all except paid premium cable, and even that would probably fail without the money pulled in from the networks to cover costs.

Same with web ads. If everyone visiting a site used ad block the site would likely shut down. Unfortunately as "right" as an Admin is to want to block people blocking ads, there is just no good way to do so.

I'm not naive enough to expect users to not use adblock. Some websites simply have horrific implementation of ads and I don't feel bad about using adblock on them. However, if ads are implemented well (in a way that doesn't obstruct or hassle the user), I think Jaxel's solution is perfect. It's a quiet nudge to add your site to their whitelist without making the site unusable/unfriendly to users.

I think most people are reasonable in that if they visit a site a lot and want to support it, they won't mind seeing an ad or two every now and then. And then there's always the option to make a paid "disable ads for $x" usergroup.

Top Bottom