Account Switch

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
I'm sure many of you also use a dedicated "News Account"/"Admin Account" or similar for posting announcements or similar on your site seperately from your "Personal Account"

Would be nice to have a way to log into multiple accounts, and then a quick switch button, to quickly flick between the accounts as required.

Also makes for a great way to have multiple accounts with different permissons, to check if updates or permissions changes take effect correctly.

Upvote 17
It is different because the other suggests logging in as any user on the board quickly vs a quick switch or toggle like thing to use one of your other accounts.

Fundamentally they are the same thing. The only difference I'm seeing is front end implementations (where you can associate two accounts and that account can switch between them 'login as the other') and one is mainly a ACP thing where you can login as that user. Programmatically, they'd be pretty much the same to implement.

Fundamentally they are the same thing. The only difference I'm seeing is front end implementations (where you can associate two accounts and that account can switch between them 'login as the other') and one is mainly a ACP thing where you can login as that user. Programmatically, they'd be pretty much the same to implement.

But only a small slice of people can even fathom what it takes to write such a thing in php so realistically the implementation IS more important to them. Most people don't care how the back end works...they just want to click a button and be done...where you put that button makes all the difference.

This allows for a user on the frontend to quick switch vs the need to go acp...that is a big difference from a use standpoint even if the underlying code making both possible consists of 80% of the same classes and function.

So unless both ideas get rolled into one addon they are two different suggestions with similar values.

I think there is a fine line when it comes to "duplicate" suggestions. They may be essentially the same but the way they work/implemented and suggested by user-x will differ. I wouldn't want to keep logging in an out to go into another account (I can do this already) whilst a toggle between accounts would be a more appealing option (if i read slavik's suggestion correctly). Essential for test sites where we could switch between accounts since right now i have to either log out or load up another browser.

I think the suggestion warrants it's thread and see it has a sound enough suggestion with a difference. Infact, this suggestion comes with more info and more thought put into the initial post.

How, it is still logging in as another user?

I think there is a fine line when it comes to "duplicate" suggestions. They may be essentially the same but the way they work/implemented and suggested by user-x will differ. I wouldn't want to keep logging in an out to go into another account (I can do this already) whilst a toggle between accounts would be a more appealing option (if i read slavik's suggestion correctly). Essential for test sites where we could switch between accounts since right now i have to either log out or load up another browser.

I think the suggestion warrants it's thread and see it has a sound enough suggestion with a difference. Infact, this suggestion comes with more info and more thought put into the initial post.

Exactly that Shelly says, the other suggestion would allow me to log into "Bob123" via the admin... I don't want nor need the ability to log into a users account unless they ask me to. Besides, going to the admin panel to switch into another account is even worse than logging out and logging back in.

This way, when logged in as "Slavik" I could then authenticate via my other username and password "News Account". Add a simple button into the UI somewhere, and in 1 click I can switch from Slavik to News Account and back.

Potentially even maybe something like the ACP, where clicking a tickbox or changing a radio option will give you an Ajax message that you've switched accounts, but without a page reload. The benefit of this is I could write up a post as Slavik, think oh crap, wrong account, and change to the News Account and post the news without having to copy the post, log out, log in, make the post, log out and log back. This way its quite simply, tick a box / radio button, make the post and change the tickbox/radio button back. Much easier, much cleaner and much more efficient at managing multiple "Site" accounts.

(For example, on P8nt I have my personal account, the admin account and a news account, so rather than having to go through logging in and out of each one 5 times a day, a simple switching mechanism will be much apreciated)

It could even be expanded to include sharing of accounts via this mechanism, Eg, I could set up all my mods aswell to be able to log into the news account and post things they find relevent, just by getting them to authenticate to the account.

In the meantime, if you set up multiple profiles in Chrome you can log in to as many different accounts as you like simultaneously.

Which is what I do for testing.

Thankyou. This works great. I've created several profiles to test for permissions/styling issues etc for the test site. Wish I would have known about this alot sooner. :thumbsup:

I use it exactly for the reasons posted for the suggestion - so I can quickly switch between different accounts.
I never have to log in or out, just click on the icon in the top left of the browser and choose the profile.
The bookmarks, open pages and logins are preserved between profiles so it's one click and done.

In the meantime, if you set up multiple profiles in Chrome you can log in to as many different accounts as you like simultaneously.

Which is what I do for testing.

Never knew about multiple profiles in Chrome. I normally use FireFox for my admin account and Chrome for my test account.

Top Bottom