Abit windy in the old UK today

Actually I just need to add one more thing, many new houses in the UK are wooden frame based but they also have to have an outer brick layer, the wood frame is not allowed to be exposed to the elements.

Pressure comes into play, regardless. Brick built buildings (all of the UK) can withstand winds than any wood built building, fact. Scotland had 142mph winds but only roofs were torn off which is understandle but the house structure was intact.

The point is simple, whenever the UK experiences any severe winds the structural integrity of households is never in the news. Our designs for our climate manage to hold up to mother nature. All of our issues stem from trees falling onto our houses.

Your level 15 and resistant to black holes wood frame, can I throw a little bit of petrol and a match against it, do the same against my double bricked wall. The point is there is hardly any wood in my house, only the roof. Your entire house is wood.

Night.

ROFLMAO - :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Your level 15 and resistant to black holes wood frame, can I throw a little bit of petrol and a match against it, do the same against my double bricked wall. The point is there is hardly any wood in my house, only the roof. Your entire house is wood.

Night.
I totally LOL'd when I read that.

As I said, I don't understand the logic either..... I mean, you are right, logic says a brick structure should do far better than a wood frame.

But in cases such as these, it's the brick frame and all the glass blown out from all end.... While that wood frame is still standing.

I don't get why that is either. But it is.

As I said, I don't understand the logic either..... I mean, you are right, logic says a brick structure should do far better than a wood frame.

But in cases such as these, it's the brick frame and all the glass blown out from all end.... While that wood frame is still standing.

Air pressure. Simple. The weakest link failed. ie the glass, not the brick and not the wood as the UK do not use that when building solid structures.

Personally I didn't necessarily see subway having it's front end blown out as a bad thing. Far too many fast food places cropping up in our towns hopefully tomorrow we'll hear about Burger King, Mcdonalds and others being sucked into a tornado dwindling the fast food stock reserves.

I'm still laughing about it. That really tickled me the black hole reference. lol

Personally I didn't necessarily see subway having it's front end blown out as a bad thing. Far too many fast food places cropping up in our towns hopefully tomorrow we'll hear about Burger King, Mcdonalds and others being sucked into a tornado dwindling the fast food stock reserves.
I know what you mean, love Farnham, they deny any fast food place, hate them with a passion.

Apart form the frame and glass are constructed off site (out of metal) and then slotted in the front, usually held in by some sort of silicone.

The brick structure didnt move an inch.

Air pressure. Simple. The weakest link failed. ie the glass, not the brick and not the wood as the UK do not use that when building solid structures.
I understood the air pressure part.

But we have subways restaurants around here that use the same design with the front wall all being glass. And as far as I know, they're using that "wood frame" as you call it. Watched the one down the street get built up.

I don't see our glass walls getting blown out and we get some pretty good winds up these way.

I understood the air pressure part.

But we have subways restaurants around here that use the same design with the front wall all being glass. And as far as I know, they're using that "wood frame" as you call it. Watched the one down the street get built up.

I don't see our glass walls getting blown out and we get some pretty good winds up these way.
That is the point Adam, we use bricks not trees to build our dwellings. I am surprised that our kin didn't pass that on when we decided to live on the newly discovered land :p

LOL, should I even attempt to go there?

:laugh: I'm already there. :P

boti.webp

That is the point Adam, we use bricks not trees to build our dwellings. I am surprised that our kin didn't pass that on when we decided to live on the newly discovered land :p
I'm kind of glad ya all didn't. We're big on using glass for things here. I'd imagine we'd be replacing it all the time if we did. :P

I'm glad I live in a bungalow, solid concrete floors, double brick? walls...heavy tiled roof etc.
The only place in the house you hear the wind, when we actually get strong winds, is on the bay window in the Lounge.
We've had a few storms here since I've lived in this house and the only damage from memory was one or two tiles coming lose, heh.

Top Bottom