Ability to Update Links with New Link Conversion Format

Amaury

With the introduction of link conversions, I think it would be nice if you could run a rebuild or something similar to update all of the links to show the page titles (or the current format if you changed the format) or vice-versa if you later decide you prefer the raw URL.

The only way to do so right now is manually by editing each individual post from before the implementation, which would be tedious, especially on large forums.

Edit: Maybe even make it a cron task. That would be useful for XenForo especially because of the threads that are moved from XenForo Bug Reports and XenForo Suggestions to Resolved Bug Reports and Closed Suggestions, respectively. The resolution prefix will be added in any links that were posted before that.

Last edited:
Upvote 15
Although this might be a useful suggestion, I'm not sure how feasible this would actually be. To get this to work, you would have to have a system that checks every single post and re-parses all of those with URLs in them. Even if it could be done, I'd imagine that it would be quite an intensive process.

Although this might be a useful suggestion, I'm not sure how feasible this would actually be. To get this to work, you would have to have a system that checks every single post and re-parses all of those with URLs in them. Even if it could be done, I'd imagine that it would be quite an intensive process.

I imagine this may be the reason why an official post rebuild hasn't been implemented yet, though I could be wrong. However, I am curious: couldn't the same be said for some of the other rebuilds? For example, rebuilding the user cache has to go through every single user, rebuilding the search index has to through every single post, etc.

Last edited:
Rebuilding those things won't be as intensive as one in which posts are re-parsed, changing existing links to effectively new ones where the thread title is pulled into the link.

I would like this too!
It doesn't matter is it's a very intensive task. My server has the power to do it. :)

Top Bottom