Lack of interest Ability to post in a thread without bumping it

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

JLew

Hi, first time post here...

I'm an active member on a forum that uses the xenForo system, and unfortunately there are a lot of hostile, provocative users there. They post troll threads and users rush to reply, berating the OP and further contributing to the nonsense. The problem here is that people are compelled to reply (it's hard to not take the bait), and the thread remains at the top of the front page, giving it more visibility and attracting more attention...you can see the vicious cycle here...

I've always wanted a feature that let you reply to a thread without bumping it. Perhaps there can be configurations around it. Maybe the admins can only allow users to do it once per thread, or only enable it for users who have been registered for X amount of years.

I think this would be a huge gamechanger in combatting forum trolls that plague all of our favorite message boards.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
You can change the default sort order in the forum options.
That would be a permanent solution one way or the other. I'm proposing a checkbox of sorts you can check before you click "post reply". If it's checked, the thread won't be bumped. If it's not checked, the thread will be sorted per the sort order. Basically, an option to do either.

I don't see the point in replying to a thread if the thread is going to remain buried.

The purpose of threads is to interact and converse with other members.

I don't see the point in replying to a thread if the thread is going to remain buried.

The purpose of threads is to interact and converse with other members.
And that will still be happening in my scenario, yes? I understand that making this an 'always on' feature doesn't make sense, this is why I propose a limit of once per thread, so users can get their one post in (comment on the OP) to state their opinion, without bumping it, and then move on. Again, it serves as a huge troll deterrent, a serious problem on many message boards.

It would also interfere with moderation in that it doesn't bring the content to moderators' attention.

Presumably it would send an alert/email for watching the thread, so arguably the people who you want to stop replying would still see it then.

I can see this as as something that most people wouldn't want, but I can see its uses. Although having said that I don't think it should be at the discretion of the member, but something a mod can apply to a thread or to specific users.

I can see this as as something that most people wouldn't want, but I can see its uses. Although having said that I don't think it should be at the discretion of the member, but something a mod can apply to a thread or to specific users.
Thank you for at least recognizing the fact that this is a valid idea. I also agree with your suggestion at the end, that would be more reasonable. Keep in mind that 4chan has a feature like this, and I know of forums on the xenoforo system that have an equally reckless userbase who would benefit from having an ability to subtly, yet effectively, reduce trolling.

Thank you for at least recognizing the fact that this is a valid idea. I also agree with your suggestion at the end, that would be more reasonable. Keep in mind that 4chan has a feature like this, and I know of forums on the xenoforo system that have an equally reckless userbase who would benefit from having an ability to subtly, yet effectively, reduce trolling.
Something that would work as well in the mean time (although it would increase the moderator workload) is to simply moderate all replies/posts, specifically for those that are trollers.
Place them in their own group (known trollers) that require message moderation to be followed and have everybody else where they don't. After enough times of their messages not showing up due to being removed/not approved by the moderator(s) it may entice them to change their habits.

Top Bottom