Lack of interest Ability to Customize How Sentence and Title Case Work

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Amaury

I did a search beforehand and couldn't find anything on this.

Anyway, as @The Sandman pointed out, we can't really teach our computers to know what words to capitalize or not capitalize in a title, and it would take a lot of code to get the Sentence Case or Title Case options to work how we want them. However, that doesn't mean customization options can't be added.

If it would be too much trouble to go through and add a lot of code to get them working right, why not add text boxes under each of those options in the Admin CP so we can customize them ourselves? You'd type words that should be capitalized or acronyms that should be all in capital letters (Sentence Case) or words that shouldn't be capitalized and acronyms that should be all in capital letters (Title Case).

Some Title Examples:

• i am happy today, Amaury, because you got DVDs
  • Today is a great day to be here
With Sentence Case enabled, the first item would be changed to:
  • I am happy today, amaury, because you got dvds
With Title Case enabled, both items would be changed to:
  • I Am Happy Today, Amaury, Because You Got Dvds
  • Today Is A Great Day To Be Here
With the ability to customize things, you could make them look properly.

Sentence Case:

• I am happy today, Amaury, because you got DVDs
Title Case:
  • I Am Happy Today, Amaury, Because You Got DVDs
  • Today Is a Great Day to Be Here

Upvote 5
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Until the entire English grammar is available as a module (and affordable servers are even more powerful than they are now), we're really forced to make some kind of compromise.

In a related question, if you read those 2 sentences to 100 of your members over the phone and then asked them all to post them as thread titles, what do you think you would get?

Until the entire English grammar is available as a module (and affordable servers are even more powerful than they are now), we're really forced to make some kind of compromise.

In a related question, if you read those 2 sentences to 100 of your members over the phone and then asked them all to post them as thread titles, what do you think you would get?

Varying answers, of course.

I guess what I'm saying is that IMO it's not worthwhile to go to extraordinary lengths to "fix" an issue that your members don't really worry about themselves.

I guess what I'm saying is that IMO it's not worthwhile to go to extraordinary lengths to "fix" an issue that your members don't really worry about themselves.

It's not really fixing, but adding an option for you customize it yourself.

It's pretty much what they do with the censoring. You have a box in the Admin CP where you type the words you want censored.

Top Bottom