Abandoned Addons Forum

Grizzly Adam

This is a suggestion for xenforo.com

For those of us using abandoned addons it would be nice if there were a subforum where we could pose questions about some of the addons that are no longer being supported. As it stands now any questions have to be posted directly in the discussion for the addon and it makes it VERY unlikely that you will find supports.

I don't disagree with the idea. However you are actually more likely to get support in the existing thread. The reason is other people running the plugin are watching the thread already and receive notifications. Where as otherwise its just only random people reading versus experienced people also getting notifications.

Most of the people providing random help go off the new posts lists so no matter where u post it will come up. People are probably not likely to click on plugin threads randomly though.

If nothing else, it could be a second place to try if you get no response on the addon's discussion.
You won't get any more response than you would in the official discussion thread and more likely less of a response. Better to keep the discussion in one place.

Besides, this would set a precedence - if this is done for some add-ons (in this case abandoned ones) then why not for all? This just leads to duplication of effort. Besides, who determines what is abandoned and what isn't? Some add-ons receive little support from the author, even though they are still around. Are these abandoned, even if they still work with the latest version of XenForo?

Last edited:
This is unlikely to happen for the reasons stated.

The best place to get support for an add-on which has been abandoned by the author, is in the existing thread from other members who use it.

do all the abandoned addons have a thread though?
i search for some and they lead back to locked, archived threads.

do all the abandoned addons have a thread though?
i search for some and they lead back to locked, archived threads.

Those are all addon's from before the resource manager existed. Generally if your forum isn't on 1.0 or 1.1 you shouldn't, wouldn't be in there. I have to physically slap my people when they say oh hey here is what we are looking for. Things that work on newer versions often still have serious issues, some of which aren't apparent at first.

It is however a little frustrating when someone tells you to post in the addon thread, hell even links to the locked thread (sorry but pretty sure I saw Brogan do that once) and there isn't much you can do about it.

Those are all addon's from before the resource manager existed. Generally if your forum isn't on 1.0 or 1.1 you shouldn't, wouldn't be in there. I have to physically slap my people when they say oh hey here is what we are looking for. Things that work on newer versions often still have serious issues, some of which aren't apparent at first.

It is however a little frustrating when someone tells you to post in the addon thread, hell even links to the locked thread (sorry but pretty sure I saw Brogan do that once) and there isn't much you can do about it.
many of those old addons still work though. i still have a few that i have been running since more or less day 1.

many of those old addons still work though. i still have a few that i have been running since more or less day 1.

All the ones I have tried have some issue or another. DragonByteTechs Users Viewing Thread and RagTek's Who Read Thread both have an issue that you wont notice 99% of the time. They error out thread redirects because they don't bother to check if the thread is valid or a redirect. I didn't notice that for like 6 months because our forum doesn't move many threads.

Most plugins using template hooks need to be updated. Several I have run into and some of them being in the resource manager have issues that even the dev's might not notice right away. DBTech's plugin for example no one running square avatars would notice but it was overriding my CSS changes to allow tall and wide avatars. A more recent example is Chris D's user age. He had literally just posted that it worked fine in 1.4 and I was like well... it actually breaks the online indicator. Little things all over the place from some of these.

There are likely a bunch I don't run that work fine. I have 1 from the archive that should be modernized that works fine.

But if they work fine, then you probably don't need to post in the thread :p

Top Bottom