A request for the community: the use of images in your signatures

Grover

Hi,

I have a kind request to the community or Kier&Mike: I see a fair amount of people displaying all kinds of graphics in their signatures to show (off?) their number of trophies/likes/postings, etc. Isn't this information already available somewhere in your profiles/usercards? Also a lot of people are using images to display their other social network links/profiles, like Facebook, Twitter et, etc, etc. Shouldn't this just be available in your profile aswell?

For me one of the selling points of xenForo is the cleanliness of threaddisplay: it is a complete breath of much needed fresh air compared to current forum systems. I feel that us, the community adding all these 'unneccesary' images to their signatures makes this forum much harder to read.

I expect I will be buried now ;)... but maybe it's an idea to keep this in mind or maybe images could even be blocked (or allowing a maximum width/height) over here?

Yes, I am picky... this posting will not get many 'likes', the devil on my left shoulder tells me. ;)

I liked your post just to be contradictory ;)

I agree and disagree with you, I really like these dynamic signatures people are using it adds a little flare and personallity HOWEVER I do agree that sometimes it is a bit to much expecially when some have 8 social networking images and a dynamic signature AND other links...

I am sure rules will be put in place at some point like no more than x number of lines in your signature images no bigger than x and no more than x links... Until then let people have their fun ;)

I agree Grover, it does make it harder to read threads sometimes and makes it harder to distinguish between posts, but I suppose its early testing days and it may help the developers for future updates to XenForo.

While I agree with Grover, this could be an excellent opportunity to figure out how to display the post bit, to make those types of sigs the least painful to view, on a forum that allows huge sigs/pics.

I must admit that I’ve never been a great fan of signatures, but that maybe down to the fact that two of the biggest vB boards (9m+ & 42m+ posts) I’ve used have always had them totally disabled.

I allow text only ones on my own site and they are set to display only once per page, per user.

I can see your point and agree with what your saying. It does distract from the community. But then, this kind of flare adds a little spirit to the place and shows that people up stairs aren't the generic people we are used to dealing with. I can certainly live with it, purely because it gives the home to this fine product some personality.

I've learned to ignore signatures about 90% of the time, just because of this reason a lot of the time.

Plus, I got tired of seeing ugly signatures by this really annoying photoshop amateur on one of my forums.

They are just doing it so show off how they can use the mini stats to create mods and extend the software etc not to really show off their post counts etc. Of course it is useless but it is the only thing they can create mod wise while they don't have access to the software. When they do get access to the software imagine what they can then create.

They are just doing it so show off how they can use the mini stats to create mods and extend the software etc not to really show off their post counts etc. Of course it is useless but it is the only thing they can create mod wise while they don't have access to the software. When they do get access to the software imagine what they can then create.
This, really. I just thought it was pretty awesome some people came up with this idea this quickly and worked together to create something like that. I'll probably remove it at some point, but until them, I kinda like the whole group thing that's going on over here.

Yeah, im pretty sure it was just a proof of concept to show what the users of this software can create with this software's resources and extensibility.

Of course there really is no need for this image as the member card is right there but it still shows the point clearly :)

The reality of the situation is that the majority of vBulletin and IPB powered forums have massive signatures. And I honestly - HONESTLY - hate them. They are 4 banners and 15 lines of text, when all they say is 'tnx' or 'hi all' in their post.

The reality of XenForo is that it's clean and simple, and has no additional profile information. As with other signature "pranks" or "tests" I have tried a few things, from very small to white on white (which nobody caught btw), to the small 1 row image and a link with reflection.

Adding multiple lines as I have, is for example still smaller than the 8 size=1 lines allowed on say vBcom, where it doesn't look that big.

Anyway, I am just testing, and I think a short signature with either your full name, or link to your site, or a smart pretty image: Is more than enough.

The reality of communities however is: HUGE blocks of signatures.

And I am simply testing here how things look, how the page loads with it, how things react, where it possibly breaks, etc, etc.

A personal signature is up to the user, if they want to show trophies or their moms birthday; doesn't matter in my opinion.

Top Bottom