A reason why XenForo is so bad in mobile devices

Also remember that if your users have email alerts enabled, many people now read all their email on their phones and will click on a link the email alert and be taken to the forum on the phone's browser. Try this yourself. You'll see it's a harsh landing and an ugly turnoff--bad usability and lots of pinching and zooming. A mobile skin that is automatically detected would foster community and create instant engagement.

A mobile skin that is automatically detected would foster community and create instant engagement.

I'd much prefer to just see the usual www skin with a different mobile css.

As it is with the subforums: In the mobile css (or it maybe a javascript issue) you see the subforums as a list, in the www skin they are displayed in a drop down box.

I'd much prefer to just see the usual www skin with a different mobile css.

As it is with the subforums: In the mobile css (or it maybe a javascript issue) you see the subforums as a list, in the www skin they are displayed in a drop down box.
I investigated that possibility, but discarded it. The requirements for a mobile / touch skin are quite distinct from those of a desktop UI.

whats wrong with using 3rd party apps already out there? I'm not seeing issues with using the site on my IOS or DROID phones

A third party app (like an iphone app) is totally different than a mobile skin. You gotta get approved by apple, adroid etc and have people download it. A mobile skin makes your forum work no matter what the phone or platform is.

The mobile style is in development.

Do you guys know if the mobile style is going to be release with the next version of xenForo or be released on its own, before or after? Don't need a timeline, just wondering if it will be inline with current xenForo releases.

It makes sense that when the mobile style is ready, it will be deployed here first to debug before rolling out.

It makes sense that when the mobile style is ready, it will be deployed here first to debug before rolling out.

Absolutely. The mobile style is one of my most anticipated add-ons for xenForo. Starting my new xenForo site has been painful as a lot of members are from my large Mustang site, which uses a branded ForumRunner app. They miss having that flexibility.

I have to say that I have no issues with XF on any of my mobile devices - iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch.
It looks, and works, just fine.

Top Bottom