A question from a former vb mod developer

Hambil

I would like to make the switch, now that I am returning to good health and want to code again. However, I'd like to know the policy regarding for-profit mods. vBulletin was always very reluctant to be supportive of such ventures. It is the main reason I chose (upon returning to find a %200 price increase) to pull my mods. I discovered the former vb developers had gone here.

What I would like to see, before I contribute my work, would be either 1) a mod/coders/style license, either free or significantly reduced cost as long as certain contribution guidelines are met. Or alternatively 2) a more supportive and co-operative venture in regards to coders getting a return on their work.

Can we finally leave the "everything must be free and how dare you question it!" mentality behind? Times are hard. You need me, I need you.

That sounds great, a follow up - are we allowed at least minimal 'advertising' on the site (e.g. something in our sig pointing to our commercial mod), and perhaps something small in the free release version thread, specifying there is also a commercial version? Those were big sticking points in the 'old days', because you couldn't leverage your free work, which I felt hurt both the quality and availability of good, complex free mods.

I ask because paid mods have never been strictly prohibited, just difficult to do successfully because of the limits of reaching your audience.

That is indeed, excellent news. I think it will do a lot to build the free addons. I know it will get several large addons from me :) I'm actually getting excited about this!

That sounds great, a follow up - are we allowed at least minimal 'advertising' on the site (e.g. something in our sig pointing to our commercial mod), and perhaps something small in the free release version thread, specifying there is also a commercial version?
Several developers already do just that, so again, there are no issues as to how you release, market and distribute your add-ons.

What kind of mods did you do before? Or where would your interest go now (maybe it's different now if you had a break?)
Just curious to know something of what to expect. I love add-ons.

Most likely I'd look to see what users are asking for, and pick the hardest one - unless the subject was really boring. I have a crazy idea (I do not yet know if I can pull it off) of creating an Android App arcade, for one thing.

I think Articles are the biggest lack.

There's Jaxel's Portal and a basic wkii. A blog.
But a good Articles handler, not yet.
XF does static html Pages which can be displayed in the main node hierarchy. But that's it - a niche definitely calling for development.

Well in your place I'd prefer to strike new ground and create a business identity that was absolutely your own in a distinct product without others for comparison. It's rare to have that opportunity because markets crowd up fast. XF is still an open arena so I'd grab that opportunity of marking out your own kingdom.
Coming in and instantly competing with an existing coder or team will be less endearing to the community. This is an early stage community with strong bonds.
On the other hand your personal passion counts for a lot too so what kind of coding work it means is important.

Yeah, I don't want to compete with other coders. If they write good addons in fact I often offer integration with them from my addons. It may at times be difficult to portray it text, but I am not a business man, I want to write code and have fun. However, I also want to eat :) I will always strive hard to be professional and work with other addons and the bulletin board team itself if and when needed.

I think you'll also enjoy the fact add-ons are released rather than being shipped off to a sister site. :) When the Resource Manager is released, it'll definitely help handle add-ons and styles properly (similer to how vBorg was set up). There's a sneak peak on how it'll look when it's installed here, if you have seen it.

A lot of things are definitely developer-friendly, and the XenForo has been built from the ground-up with add-ons and extendability it mind. Once you get a hang of things, it's all up to your imagination. Happy coding! (y)

Top Bottom