A Little Logo Contest - Looking for Entries

MistyMeanor

Hey there guys! Well I am running a little contest. I ran it on my forum first for a month, but sadly due to the type of forum I run, it still being very new and small membership, the level of technical expertise amongst staff and members, it kind of fell flat on it's face with only one subpar entry in an entire months span. So I asked for permission to do this first, and thought out of 40k members, would get at least SOME entries!

No need to be deemed a professional of any sort, anyone can submit an entry. This is for mostly fun... a little prize... and just to help me fill a "need"...

I know it's not giving a LARGE prize, but am offering a $25 iTunes electronic gift card to the winner. I am doing this here because I would like a logo, and while the prize is not large, hoping to get some good old fashioned friendly competition going. Please no one post their entries in this thread, only email them to me, and be sure to put your USERNAME and REAL name in the entry. Of course any questions can be replied here, and/or if you just want to announce you are participating and maybe get some fun competitive jargon going! Here are the rules and what I want:
  • I want something that can REPRESENT my forum and not only be it's header, but it's logo.
  • A little about my forum - I run a not-for-profit forum for people living with any form of a neuromuscular disease can discuss issues, ask advice, find helpful resources, have fun, and just have a place to discuss with "like" people that understand what they may be going through. My goal is for us to grow our membership, have a safe and very secure place to talk about nearly every topic that can be thought of. The discussions do not have to be solely just focused on the disabilities one may have. There is a category for just about anything, from every day chat, to medical categories, to sexuality, to government benefits, to growing our own personal Wiki to create a large resource filled area. THOUSANDS of people out there have forms of a neuromuscular disease. An umbrella it is typically under is Muscular Dystrophy. A well-known type of NMD is ALS (or also called Lou Gherig's disease). Babies are born with NMDs every second, most don't live to be past toddler age. All depending on type, rate of progression, when diagnosed/onset. Like I was diagnosed at 18mos. old, told wouldn't live past 4 years old, and am 35. Then some people don't have onset until adults (ALS). A lot of people are also familiar with the term "Jerry's Kids" from when Jerry Lewis did the labor day MDA telethon for 30+ years. So reaching out to adults with NMDs is our #1 goal. There are many of us out there, most told wouldn't live past childhood, and some did not. My forum is open to 13+
  • Prefer transparent BG ... but am open if a logo looks awesome.
  • It can have images or other graphic design mixed, but kept at a minimum. The text is more important than any other style elements added.
  • It HAS to say exactly like it is written above: No Muscles? No Limits! where your neuromuscular disease doesn't define you (all in lower case - unless doing it in different case would make the particular font/design look better)
  • Color palette does NOT have to be what the current logo is like (it was thrown together as a temporary logo anyway). Keeping in mind the forum will likely be staying permanently with the default colors. Logo can be designed accordingly, and/or not necessarily "match" but just am looking for a unique design, and maybe even one that could be used with other color palattes. I want this to be representative of us and our LOGO! In other words, no color prefs really... just cohesive design that could possibly move with us if we did change color palattes ever in future.
  • Would love to also have an Avatar sized logo to be used on social media. But that is not required to enter contest.
  • There will be a poll created here and on my forum and the most votes will win. But I still trump overall in finalizing the winner. No favoritism will be shown!!
  • This contest will be open for 2 weeks. (Starting today, August 11, 2013 - Ending August 25, 2013)
  • Should there be a tie... then I will make the ultimate decision.
  • Max size should be 1020 x 130 - Anything in between that will be fine. Design can be made to be centered or left aligned. Doesn't matter.
  • The designer will need to be willing to make SMALL tweak requests if needed (ie: make font one step bigger... etc. -- nothing that would be major to the overall design and cause the entire design to shift)
  • There will need to be 5 or more participants for the contest to be valid.
  • Please e-mail your designs to: photos@nomusclesnolimits.com

Didn't realise we needed permission to put in a request for a custom logo :confused:
I don't have an artistic bone in me but hopefully someone will accept your logo challenge. Would be nice to see different ideas come to life.

Didn't realise we needed permission to put in a request for a custom logo :confused:
I don't have an artistic bone in me but hopefully someone will accept your logo challenge. Would be nice to see different ideas come to life.

Well no its not that per se, I just out of courtesy to the XF Community; since I wanted this to be more like a competition and to win a "prize", versus just straight up asking for me to pay someone to create one, I wanted to be sure doing a "competition/contest" was "ok."

Yes, it would be nice to see... Like I said, I will be doing a POLL here to vote on the submissions... really curious to see, with the amount of talent out there, who will when and see all the different artistic styles!

Wow, XF Community has made me sad... no one wants to not only help me out, have some fun competition, but also win a $25 gift card for making a logo. Not one submission ... :(

Wow, XF Community has made me sad... no one wants to not only help me out, have some fun competition, but also win a $25 gift card for making a logo. Not one submission ... :(
Think about what you are asking here...

You want a minimum of 5 "entries"... which means at least 4 people are going to do just as much work and not get a penny. And even for the winner, how much time would it take to create a great logo? Probably more than $25 worth of time (which isn't even in cash... rather a gift card).

So a best case scenario where only the minimum number of people spent the time to make you a logo, they each spend an average of an hour or two probably for an average value received of a $5 gift card. :)

You are basically willing to pay 12x less (assuming they value an iTunes gift card just as much as cash) than the cheapest logo design available on a site like 99 Designs... http://99designs.com/pricing/logo-design

Now, if you were a designer, would you focus your designing time on design contests where they can win $300-800 cash, or spend the same amount of time to hopefully win a $25 gift card? :)

Well, @digitalpoint thank you for putting that out there... apparently just shows the mighty dollar wins once again versus just having some fun and helping someone out when they need some help. Ya' know it probably wouldn't take a whole lot to really sweep me off my feet on a design. But you are so right, gee... I just forgot all about the time and effort and the bottom line, the green. I must not be able to do math... and apparently I insulted everyone here. Gee my apologies...

Isn't it YOUR website I was told I would get better results on? Oh yeah thats right, where there are "QUICK $10 logo contests, QUICK $15 logo contests"
https://forums.digitalpoint.com/forums/contests.94/

Join the club, sister. Don't feel too bad. I had the same luck when I posted for help. Basically, seek help elsewhere.

My advice - Skip Freelancer. Bunch of moppets on there who have worse design skills than a group of 5th graders.

I'm using Hatchwise now. Its been fair so far. LogoHulk is a good resource. There are other sites like Elance, Fiverr, and 99Designs. But, doing it on the cheap, DP is probably your best bet.

Well I just find it funny @digitalpoint was eloquently smashing me to make it sound like what the hell do I expect when I offer such poor method of rewards for the contest... like how dare I insult peoples time and skills with such a poor reward. Yet seems like his site has people doing logo contests for much cheaper rewards than even I am asking for, for logos.

Should have known better... it's all about the mighty dollar versus just having fun (as I personally enjoy designing things, just cannot come up with a good idea and I am not that good) and helping someone out also. Sad... really sad.

Well I just find it funny @digitalpoint was eloquently smashing me to make it sound like what the hell do I expect when I offer such poor method of rewards for the contest... like how dare I insult peoples time and skills with such a poor reward. Yet seems like his site has people doing logo contests for much cheaper rewards than even I am asking for, for logos.

Should have known better... it's all about the mighty dollar versus just having fun (as I personally enjoy designing things, just cannot come up with a good idea and I am not that good) and helping someone out also. Sad... really sad.

Don't take it personally. DP just cuts straight to the core. Not everyone in this life is willing to give things away for free. If you've lived on this earth for more than 20 years you should know that full well by now.

Well, I should have prefaced it with the face that I'm not a designer at all. I couldn't make a logo if my life depended on it. And yes... I think the designers on my site are insane for doing what they do for the price. If we actually had a real design contest system (instead of just threads), I'd force a minimum price on them to protect the designers from themselves (hah).

What you are ultimately asking is for a service, but you also want people to treat it as something fun, not a job. At the end of the day though, that's what it is (a job). If I was looking for a mechanic to work on my car, should I really expect them to do it for me because it's fun for them?

Anyway, I didn't mean to come off abrupt... If you can get a bunch of people to make logos in hopes of a $25 gift card, then great... That's awesome.

I was just pointing out why you weren't flooded with submissions after you said the XF community makes you sad for not jumping at the opportunity.

Oh I do, I wasn't asking for "free" anyway. It was still $25 of my money put into an iTunes electronic card just so it could be sent the easiest method. It could be $25 pay pal, I am fine with that. But what gets me is all the developers on here that code and do programming for add ons that I KNOW take a lot of time and many are offered for free, and or below or equal to the amount I was asking for a logo design to be used at the top of my forum which I know can be done for way less time than an add on. My current one took the designer about 20 minutes to put together. Yes, I have been on earth for way longer than 20 years, and am fully aware of nothing in life being free. I'll just find someone to do one for me, won't worry about it here. Just really disappointed... first with my thread being taken over by some people <ahem!> one of them being DP, but he didn't start it... but then the way my offer is made out to be portrayed like I am some idiot and looking for handouts. I don't appreciate it one bit. I don't like being made a mockery of.

I'll just find someone to do one for me, won't worry about it here. Just really disappointed... first with my thread being taken over by some people <ahem!> one of them being DP, but he didn't start it... but then the way my offer is made out to be portrayed like I am some idiot and looking for handouts. I don't appreciate it one bit. I don't like being made a mockery of.
Most of the folks that do graphics are doing it professionally or in some cases don't do logos. I know that I ended up having to figure out how to use PhotoChop (with a LOT of input from @Shelley) and do one for my Apple site (and it's not the best looking in the world but it will work until I can increase my skill level - which is waiting on me to put Windows on one of the desktops I have Linux installed on instead of my laptop). If I was more graphically talented I'd be happy to do one for you (and it would be for free since I would count it in my learning experience - which is what I do a LOT of stuff for).
If get my computer room finished out and the desktop installed I'll play around and see what I can come up with - but like a lot of folks here, i'm more into the technical aspect than the graphical aspect.

Top Bottom