A free license...

Patty_Mayo

There should be a free license with like half the features of a paid license. The free license also would have the domain be something like: https://yourwebsitename.xf.com/ or https://yourwebsitename.xenforo.com/ . The reason why I really want this to be an option, is mainly because there are a lot of people that can't afford the paid licenses. but they could start off with the free license and then upgrade to a paid license in x months, or x years. The free license should be free forever. Cuz people like me, really want to use xenforo for a community site for their gaming community but can't afford to pay for a paid license, so they are having to opt to some other site that is free meaning less creators using XenForo. If a free license was added and was free forever with limited features, then this site here could have a lot of potential. I my self, own a mc server and can't afford to buy a paid license on this provider so i am having to use a free provider that doesn't let me do that many things. I hope this is taken into consideration and possibly added as a plan that anyone can use.

There should be a free license with like half the features of a paid license. The free license also would have the domain be something like: https://yourwebsitename.xf.com/ or https://yourwebsitename.xenforo.com/ . The reason why I really want this to be an option, is mainly because there are a lot of people that can't afford the paid licenses. but they could start off with the free license and then upgrade to a paid license in x months, or x years. The free license should be free forever. Cuz people like me, really want to use xenforo for a community site for their gaming community but can't afford to pay for a paid license, so they are having to opt to some other site that is free meaning less creators using XenForo. If a free license was added and was free forever with limited features, then this site here could have a lot of potential. I my self, own a mc server and can't afford to buy a paid license on this provider so i am having to use a free provider that doesn't let me do that many things. I hope this is taken into consideration and possibly added as a plan that anyone can use.
You're not just asking for a free license, you're basically asking for free hosting too.

If you're looking for a free customizable forum solution that lets you do anything, you can start with something like MyBB, and when you can afford XenForo, you can convert from MyBB to XenForo - like many people have done. The software itself is free, you have to get your own shared hosting plan for it.

Sooo it's "Host me for free and let me use your service for free because I want professional software, but don't want to pay you for it and I feel like i'm entitled to something that costs money for totally free, just because I don't want to pay for it."?

May I suggest the following?
Hawkhost- Cheap, affordable shared hosting and using phpBB or MyBB for your forum software?

Don't have the expertise to upload files and install the scripts yourself? Both softwares mentioned above can be installed in just a few clicks with Softalicious or Fantastico from within the CPanel.

Still too much work? Well there are free forum hosts out there, May I suggest JCINK Forum Hosting.

It would seem that Xenforo is not for you, OP.

You are asking for a paid software to go free just because you don't feel like paying for one. It's really not expensive, so just save up for it. If you don't want to do that then you can use a free forum software, there's lots available.

It's somewhat entertaining reading messages on someone else's forum offering "helpful advice"

I think the current system is better than vbulletin 15+ years ago where I bought a leased licence every year and would have saved money if i bought an owned one :LOL: They did do a free limited version then and obviously from experience know it's not the route to go down.

I started my forum in August 2016 with phpBB 3.1 - that phpBB version was already responsive.
So I knew whenever my finances made it possible to buy XenForo, there where to be no problems with non responsive topics.

For example, even nowadays MyBB is not responsive; phpBB is therefore the better option to start your forum.

When I first got into forums I used a board that was free and had free hosting. Of course, the options were limited and the board was full of ads. The downside is when I moved to a phpBB I couldn't move the data. I too was into gaming at the time, which did make the transition easier.

My suggestion is to buy Xenforo, pay for hosting, and use one of the donation add-ons to raise money to cover expenses. You are going to get good forum software that will better your community.

There is a free forum solutions just pick MyBB or SMF, then download their source and install it on your shared hosting. There is also free web hosting package for your development testing.

I disagree with your idea to be this software for free!

You're not just asking for a free license, you're basically asking for free hosting too.

If you're looking for a free customizable forum solution that lets you do anything, you can start with something like MyBB, and when you can afford XenForo, you can convert from MyBB to XenForo - like many people have done. The software itself is free, you have to get your own shared hosting plan for it.
I downloaded MyBB today and couldnt get into the installation, as I need to know how to get my own "shared hosting plan" for it, so how would i get my own shared hosting plan for it and what would the plan cost?
When I first got into forums I used a board that was free and had free hosting. Of course, the options were limited and the board was full of ads. The downside is when I moved to a phpBB I couldn't move the data. I too was into gaming at the time, which did make the transition easier.

My suggestion is to buy Xenforo, pay for hosting, and use one of the donation add-ons to raise money to cover expenses. You are going to get good forum software that will better your community.
I would have to see how i would do that sort of thing before i would do that option
There is a free forum solutions just pick MyBB or SMF, then download their source and install it on your shared hosting. There is also free web hosting package for your development testing.

I disagree with your idea to be this software for free!
Last time i checked out SMF which was a week ago, it didnt give me any sort of free plan, so i need to figure out how to get my own shared hosting and see how much the shared hosting would cost me to use MyBB.

I downloaded MyBB today and couldnt get into the installation, as I need to know how to get my own "shared hosting plan" for it, so how would i get my own shared hosting plan for it and what would the plan cost?

I would have to see how i would do that sort of thing before i would do that option

Last time i checked out SMF which was a week ago, it didnt give me any sort of free plan, so i need to figure out how to get my own shared hosting and see how much the shared hosting would cost me to use MyBB.

Pick a plan: https://www.knownhost.com/shared-hosting.html

Nobody will work for free.
1595227108964.png
(I actually did purchase it years on back [but past the expiration] but don't even use it anymore—just demonstrating that some do work for free :sneaky:the story behind 40-day WinRAR trial)

However, I disagree that XF should be stripped of features and provided for free, even if they put a public notice or place ads on the product (to not be tampered with, though people will still try and remove them) as it'll essentially be a new "version" of XF (such as Nginx 'mainline' vs 'stable') that they need to modify, taking away from core XF development all paid users want as seen in the suggestions forum (they're probably already supporting 2.0, 2.1 and 2.2 already [possibly 1.5 for security updates?] that would cause a hell of a headache). There are plenty of free alternatives. That said, I would suggest beginning a forum based upon a supported XenForo importable version so that when the time comes, it will be stress-free, as you will eventually want the full XF product.

Just my 2¢ on why I would never want XF to follow suit with WinRAR (and, the mentioned, Spotify model in the story provided above) "freemium" model unless they bring on more developers or can handle the task as is.

Top Bottom