• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm weird. Did they use to work and just stop... or did you change anything?
wel i have two forums on separate servers. I have only upgraded one to the current release. That is the one with the problem (note i had no problems removing the old and installing ) . The other with a older version works fine

Myself and Saeed have tried to put together some documentation for XenPorta which we hope people find useful. This is located here: XenPorta User Guide and FAQs and should address a lot of the frequently asked questions from this thread as well as providing guides on using the Blocks and Layout features.

Please let us know if there is anything that you think should be added

Thanks a lot :D

can you have a look here please :)

1. How shall I add a left side bar ? It should display only on portal page not actually on /forums [I will be adding facebook group, subscription box left side bar]

2. I want to add a poll on right side bar. How ?

3. I have a box which displays different images every time user refreshes the page. It is coded in PHP. You can see demo here. How shall I add this to right side bar ?

4. A HTML box in left side bar.

4. Display top posters. May be top 10 posters on left side bar.

5. Latest registered members on left side bar.

1) Read the Layout section of our guide
2) Someone would need to create a poll block. I don't think one currently exists.
3) Boban created a block that allows you to include a php file. See the Community-Created Blocks section of our guide.
4a) Same as 3, Boban created a HTML block as well.
4b/5) These blocks don't exist yet but I'm sure someone can help create them for you.

I just found out that when I use the addon-EWRporta.xml it creates the database tables then sends the invalid xml error.
Hmmm thats weird. You may have to drop those tables and then try again with a clean install. Goes without saying to BACKUP first :)

Hi Jaxel. First let me thank you for this powerful portal. The version 1.5.1 is great. But during the translation I found some hardcodet phrases. Are you able to fix this in a later version?

Here is the list
  • Group Selection Type
  • Usergroups
  • Top-Left
  • Top-Right
  • Mid-Left
  • Mid-Right
  • Btm-Left
  • Btm-Right
  • Sidebar (for translation in other languages, for German it is OK as it is ;))

and the following phrases are not combined with the Add-on
  • EWRblock_FaceBook_group
  • EWRblock_StatusUpdates_recent
  • EWRblock_Twitter_feed
  • EWRblock_Twitter_join
Thanks for your support

Kind regards
Mike

What does this mean "hardcoded"? What benefit does this give us? I am not a coder so just trying to understand how this all works.

Hi Jaxel. First let me thank you for this powerful portal. The version 1.5.1 is great. But during the translation I found some hardcodet phrases. Are you able to fix this in a later version?

Here is the list
  • Group Selection Type
  • Usergroups
  • Top-Left
  • Top-Right
  • Mid-Left
  • Mid-Right
  • Btm-Left
  • Btm-Right
  • Sidebar (for translation in other languages, for German it is OK as it is ;))
and the following phrases are not combined with the Add-on
  • EWRblock_FaceBook_group
  • EWRblock_StatusUpdates_recent
  • EWRblock_Twitter_feed
  • EWRblock_Twitter_join
Thanks for your support

Kind regards
Mike

To put it very simply, let's say you're using month names in your software. Now, you could insert "January", "February" in text form etc. every place you want them OR you could use phrases.

e.g. the phrase "Jan" for January, "Feb" for February.

What's the advantage? One very obvious one is for translation. Let's say you use these month names in 100 different places in your code. If you were to translate it to a different language, you would have to replace it with the translated version in all 100 places where you inserted the text. This is because it is "hard coded".

If you were using phrases, you could simply edit the phrase "Jan" for the translated version of January, and it would show in every place that the phrase "Jan" is used.

That is an EXTREMELY simple explanation that a non-coding doctor like myself uses to understand this concept. :p I'm sure someone else could explain it in much more depth. :D

This is a very good explanation, Saeed. The second reason is to create a language fils as an export from XenForo for this add-on. If someone like to use this add-on in a foreign language he (or she) only needs to install the language pack for his (or her) language after installing the add-on. But all hardcodet text need to be translate manually in the XML-code of this add-on.

Question: If I won therecent newsmodule, select "Show HistoryNavigation"
activate, it willevenappear at the bottom, but in aforwarding
Thefollowing pageswill not work.Itisonly the first
Pagedisplayedwhen I click onPage5, 36,or no matterwhatclickPage.

Anyone have any ideawhy that is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom