• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[8wayRun.Com] XenPorta (Portal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Is there any single thread which has listed all the modules with download links ? [like this] or do I have to search mods one by one.

2. How to make that slideshow [or whatever it is called :p] appear as in http://8wayrun.com/ ? Which mod I have to install ?

EK6UG.jpg

3. On 8wayrun, the threads are appearing in center. But in Portal configuration, there are only top-right or top-left options, how come no top-middle ? I want my posts to appear in middle, currently they are appearing like this :

0Al7G.jpg

4. Also why my posts are appearing like that ? I want content should be displayed. Just as in 8wayrun

t4KRj.jpg

5. When I promote a thread, where it is added actually, to recent news or recent threads...

6. I want to add a html box at the sidebar, how ?

these are my doubts as of now :p

TIA :D

Isn't that Porta release thread ? How it is going to help me
Questions related to add-ons go in the specific add-on thread.

I'm guessing that every single one of those questions has been answered at least 10 times already.

Jaxel did not give any support. So you have to read the whole thread :( as we all have to do.
Best from end first because since 1.50 there has changed a lot.
sorry for that bad info, but this is fact and we all have to live with that.
there is no documentation, there is no support.

for one of you problems above: install the slider block. this block (and many others) is not preinstalled and you have to do it self. (for this have a look in the xml directory)

Would be totally awesome if you could add jquery to it. So its possible to choose if everything should update it self, so ppl dont need to update the page to see new things.

Jaxel did not give any support.
Anyone whom has donated $30+ for XenPorta can mildly object to the lack of organized support. For $100 I think you should be able to email a few questions to Jaxel. Less than $30, you get what you pay for. We could ask Jaxel to write documentation, put FAQs in the first post, etc. And XenPorta would be on version 0.2beta and not 1.5. Choose your poison, I think you want 1.5.

I was able to place an extra 'block' containing an html code onto the front 'home' page, thanks to all your wonderful help. But for some reason none of the blocks on the front page show up on the other pages, like the forum page. Do I have to individually configure each page as the admin to make each block appear?

I was able to place an extra 'block' containing an html code onto the front 'home' page, thanks to all your wonderful help. But for some reason none of the blocks on the front page show up on the other pages, like the forum page. Do I have to individually configure each page as the admin to make each block appear?

In the xenporta options, you need to tick if you want the blocks to appear on the other pages (forums/threads/etc).

You probably also need to create a "layout" for your forum otherwise it will include other the blocks on the portal, not just the side blocks.

I flicked through the first few pages and all the sites were unique hits rather than counting multiple pages on a single site so it's at least hundreds if not many more.

Can you take those same domains .... use the waybackmachine ... see how many were using vBadvanced pre-Xenforo ?
I wonder if Jaxel has an indirect way to knowing a more exact number ? Maybe if XenPorta checked for updates ?

You probably could but I'm at work :p

I imagine once the resource manager is available here, tracking things like this will be much easier (hopefully it'll come with a VB-like "mark as installed")

Oh, I didn't know about this...

anyways I searched thread, but couldn't get more info. So I have to check out all replies ? x-(

Jaxel did not give any support. So you have to read the whole thread :( as we all have to do.

for one of you problems above: install the slider block. this block (and many others) is not preinstalled and you have to do it self. (for this have a look in the xml directory)
Thank you, atleast you replied me :)

It would be in his best interest to write some documentation.

It would reduce the number of simple questions answered dozens of times on this thread already and enable more people to get up and running with it more quickly without issues (and hence probably be more likely to donate due to getting a working product going even quicker and easily)

We could ask Jaxel to write documentation, put FAQs in the first post, etc. And XenPorta would be on version 0.2beta and not 1.5. Choose your poison, I think you want 1.5.

I don't think that's true. I'm sure he could bang out some half decent documentation covering the basics in just a few hours seeing as he knows it inside out and built the thing, he could probably bang out some excellent documentation if he just did a tiny bit of updating every day for a week or two.

I know it can be a bit overwhelming running a business as a one man band having done it myself, and I imagine he probably gets bombarded with PMs too, but that's all the more reason to do this seeing how many people use it now. The questions will only increase as XF usage grows too. I wonder how many people have tried to use it and had issues, not been able to get an answer, seen there's 3,500 replies and just though "eff that, I'm not trawling through there."
Potential sale/donation lost right there.

Having a decent guide and FAQ to point people towards could only help free up his time for further coding and undoubtedly result in more happy customers and additional sales.

At least I know that's what I would do if I was relying on something like this for my primary source of income....

Maybe he's just waiting for the RM though, who knows.

Reactions: avi
Why not, go for it :) I was going to try it myself at some point but I haven't got the time and don't feel I know it well enough to document it well. You really need a new thread or a post at the beginning that can be easily referenced otherwise it'll all get lost again. Unless it's hosted offsite or in a wiki (or xenCarta?) somewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom