512mb ram vps enough for a small community?

Nudaii

I run a small xenforo forum for a lotro kinship/guild (under 100 members on forum), the site has about 100k posts, but rarely has more than 6-7 people online at once due to timezones etc.

would a 512mb vps be enough for this?:)

thanks slavik, just wanted to confirm, up till now i had always been placing it on my 2gb vps i had laying about, decided to check before migrating.

You could probably do fine on a shared host too. "512mb vps" doesn't really give much info about the specific hosting plan though.

i decided to use some of my linode credit and put it on a 1gb vps

GB RAM
    CPU Core
    GB SSD Storage
    TB Transfer
    Gbit Network In
    Mbit Network Out

i decided to use some of my linode credit and put it on a 1gb vps

GB RAM
    CPU Core
    GB SSD Storage
    TB Transfer
    Gbit Network In
    Mbit Network Out

You can run 10x bigger forum with this spec :)

I'm running on shared server with almost 8.000 users, sometimes 100 online, over 12.000 posts. It runs well so far, but it's true I can't run all add-ons.

I guess your VPS should be more then enough.

Last edited:
I'm running on shared server with almost 8.000 users, sometimes 100 online, over 12.000 posts. It runs well so far, but it's true I can't run all add-ons.

I guess your VPS should be more then enough.
Not to advertise vps.net as I don't like their shared server/cloud site still on php 5.2 when I'm using them last 2013 but, with the $20 per month here: http://vps.net/products/cloud-sites it handles very fine my forum with 200-300 simultaneous members online and almost 1K guest.

The most important thing with low memory if for all processes to be carefully configured so that the system does not crash when it runs out of memory. This could happen due to a robot, hacking attempts, etc.

Top Bottom