$50,000 DLC....

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
http://www.computerandvideogames.co...ll-feature-1-piece-of-dlc-costing-pound50000/

Titled Curiosity and set for release on PC and mobile platforms in about six weeks, it will be the first of 22 experiments that help shape the final design of a game the former Lionhead boss aims to release in two years.

Molyneux told New Scientist that Curiosity will place all players in the same virtual room containing a single black cube that users tap away at, causing fractures.

Eventually the cube will break open, revealing something "truly amazing, absolutely unique", he said. However, only the player who delivers the decisive final tap will get to see the contents of the cube.

"We will rely entirely on social media," Molyneux said. "How will this person prove it? That in itself becomes a fascinating aspect of this experiment."

At some point before the cube opens, players will be able to buy one of a limited number of chisels that increase their tapping strength. The chisels will range in price and strength, from an iron chisel priced at 5 pence that's ten times more powerful then a normal tap, to a diamond chisel that's 100,000 times as powerful and costs £50,000, of which there'll only be one available.

"It's an insane amount of money," Molyneux said. "This is not a money-making exercise; it is a test about the psychology of monetisation."

Cant say im not intregued! Wonder if anyone will actually buy the 50k chisel...

How much do you want to bet this "truly amazing, truly unique" thing will be neither of those?

This is already reminding me of that "I Am Rich" iOS app, which was nothing but a cash grab. All it did was just display the text "I'm rich" over and over again.

If Peter Molyneux is hyping it up, it's going to be extremely underwhelming. He loves to promote his companies' "groundbreaking" features, which always fall short of the mark or are entirely left out (Look at what was promised for Project Ego, which became Fable...then Fable II, and so on). I'm interested in how his new company gets on, but I doubt I'll be buying into anything they put out...

Your topic title is misleading; £50 000 = $77 229 ;)

I guess whoever opens the box will figure out whether the cat is dead or not....

As a video game designer, I can tell you this is just the beginning of where we will go for DLC.
Please don't, I've got enough $15 - $50 DLCs to pay for a couple of extra maps/side missions that after being purchased you can see they weren't even worth it :(

Please don't, I've got enough $15 - $50 DLCs to pay for a couple of extra maps/side missions that after being purchased you can see they weren't even worth it :(

As we grow even more intertwined with digital media, it is only a matter of time before digital goods become something of real value. In 20 years, there will be auctions for digital goods like those we currently have for art, collector cars, and other precious memorabilia.

As we grow even more intertwined with digital media, it is only a matter of time before digital goods become something of real value. In 20 years, there will be auctions for digital goods like those we currently have for art, collector cars, and other precious memorabilia.
As a gamer I still do not agree of how companies are doing things and I'll personally stop supporting them as long as they keep going, I might end up enjoying very little games but as long as I don't see those DLC's being worth it, I won't touch them.

As a gamer I still do not agree of how companies are doing things and I'll personally stop supporting them as long as they keep going, I might end up enjoying very little games but as long as I don't see those DLC's being worth it, I won't touch them.
While we may not like it, it is the inevitable course of action studios are taking. What you may not find valuable, someone else will, and vica versa.

Top Bottom