1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

404 not found

Discussion in 'Server Configuration and Hosting' started by surge, Mar 29, 2016.

1. surge

surge Member

I just moved my whole site to a new host.
    I basically exported the database, downloaded all the files, uploaded all the files, imported the database, changed the config file.

Anyway now when I go to my forums on the new ip, the home page kind of works, but when you click on anything, it goes into a folder called /forums/ but that folder doesn't actually exist in the files, It's some kind of a virtual folder. Anyway I a getting 404 not found when it tries to go to the folder.

help please.

This is my original .htaccess file

#    Mod_security can interfere with uploading of content such as attachments. If you
    #    cannot attach files, remove the "#" from the lines below.
    #<IfModule mod_security.c>
    #    SecFilterEngine Off
    #    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    ErrorDocument 401 default
    ErrorDocument 403 default
    ErrorDocument 404 default
    ErrorDocument 500 default
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
        RewriteEngine On
        #    If you are having problems with the rewrite rules, remove the "#" from the
        #    line that begins "RewriteBase" below. You will also have to change the path
        #    of the rewrite to reflect the path to your XenForo installation.
        #RewriteBase /xenforo
        #    This line may be needed to enable WebDAV editing with PHP as a CGI.
        #RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}]
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -l [OR]
        RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
        RewriteRule ^.*$ - [NC,L]
        RewriteRule ^(data/|js/|styles/|install/|favicon\.ico|crossdomain\.xml|robots\.txt) - [NC,L]
        RewriteRule ^.*$ index.php [NC,L]
  2. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

What's your board URL at /admin.php?options/list/basicBoard
    The above .htaccess has no information for a /forums/ virtual folder that you mentioned.
  3. surge

surge Member

so the boardurl is the magic invisible folder.
  4. surge

surge Member

so I only copied over the public html folder, i am really tempted to copy over the other folders as well. should I?
  5. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

'www' is your root web directory.
    ..within 'www' you should have a 'forums' directory
    ...within the above 'forums' directory should be all your xenforo files and folders.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  6. ZionHD

ZionHD Member

The basic board URL should be pointed to the URL where the XenForo files are located.

If your site was called example.com and your XenForo files were located in the public_html/forums folder
    then the basic board url would be: http://example.com/forums

If the XenForo files were located in the public_html folder then it would be
  7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

If it's the URL listed against the license in your account then it's all working.