3 Storms Merging into 1

Lawrence

If you live in eastern Canada, or the east coast of the United States, buckle up, a huge storm is coming. Hurricane Sandy is merging with another storm and now it appears a third will meet up with the two as well, creating what some scientists call a "perfect storm". Some parts of New York City has already been informed to evacuate.

The storm is going to take one of 2 paths. The first (and most likely due to the warm-air storm) will take it northerly up across New York, Maine, Eastern Ontario, Quebec and parts of the Maritime's (it's a massive storm). The 2nd path will have it keep moving north-easterly across the Atlantic Provinces.

I'm in Delaware and the storm is already causing problems. The canal is closed in one city due to storm swell and coastal highway is closed from the surge too! I went out in the ocean not too long ago and the waves were enormous (8-15ft) for a distant storm.

Hurricane Sandy, bring on the storm !

I love big and large storms. I'm the crazy nut who was standing on the coast when "Hurricane Bob" came to town and I was screaming up into the heavens, "Is this all you've got?!" Of course we've not since anything like that since. Oh true, we can argue that there have been several dozen hurricanes since old Hurricane Bob of 1991, but none of them actually lived up to their name (in my opinion). For that matter, neither did Bob in my opinion.

Of course it seems as though every new storm that comes to pass, the media (news) stresses about and calls a "dooms day storm" (figuratively speaking). The last few that touched here were nothing more than a few drops of rain without any wind, lightning, or any cause of alarm. I think it lasted all of 10 minutes and then was a nice sunny day.

So I've come to ignore the press coverage as every storm seems to be classified as a "dooms day storm".

In my opinion, when they tell you to panic they want you to buy stuff and when they tell you not to worry, you should worry. As such, I'm not worried and if I had a ride to the coast, I'd be out there now ready to shout up onto the heavens, "Is this really all you've got??!"

We're OK here in MA, Adam, but just to give you a small taste of what they might experience south of us....

I lived in southern NJ (philly area) for 30 years prior to 2005 - and in that time period, the single highest gust of wind I remember was 48 MPH when a hurricane missed us. That one gust - and I felt it clearly - knocked down enough trees in Southern NJ (sandy soil, pine trees) that we lost power for a full five days. Since we were on a well, that meant no water either.

Now.....let's take this storm which is forecasting winds peaking at 80MPH in the same vicinity - as you probably know, the power of the wind increases to the square of the speed, so an 80MPH gust is 2.5X as strong as a 50.

These wind speeds will be constant over the area where many millions of people live.

I'm not saying houses are going to blow down....the human folly is going to be the big one. That is, since dereg of electric utilities, the grid has been ignored (thank Ron Reagan for that one).....and utilities rely on a small are getting an outage and other utilities (they have contracts with each other) coming in and helping. But what happens when ALL the utilities are hit over a massive area? We are about to find out.

Again, I can state clearly that we never experienced an inland event like this in the last generation. We may get lucky, but the odds seem to be against that.

I'm from down south so it's a bit eye opening hearing some of the "predictions" cnn and others are making. I guess we'll find out by Tuesday. As craigirl stated, I'm guessing the biggest factor will be on how wide of an area looses power. Can't imaging not having electricity for a week or more. Never get hit by anything other than maybe a tornado every 2-3yrs and even then it's not where I'm from...

I'm in the south. VA in fact. Let me tell you the ocean is a lot closer right now then it should be. Flooding is getting bad.

Got any pictures you can SAFELY take and show us?

Not today. Maybe when the sun comes up. I can relay a few things as I just did a drive around base. The surf is very high, several feet above average here in VA I would guess. Flooding is a major issue right now. I got through most of the base but I figure the old section (closest to the ocean) is under water. There's a road that goes around our air field, I was slowly going down it because it's also near the ocean, and I noticed WAVES going through the air field. I did a quick abort and turned the heck around lol - I guess that maybe 100-150 feet up the road it might have been 1+ feet deep over the road. Don't want to even be remotely close to that. A lot of leaves and branches are down, I didn't see any trees down yet. It's been damn gusty - like 50MPH gusty.

We have several major road ways in the area going to VA beach over the water. They are all shut down. The water is blowing over them. The base has a bridge too, I drove over it 4 hours ago and the water was almost coming over the bridge. I imagine it's way shut down by now.

I can tell you this much right now: looks bad. The storm hasn't even hit us yet. It wont come to VA until 2Am Tuesday. We're experiencing the first rain bands. It's gonna be an issue. Lets just say I'm already considering options for higher ground.

I plan to do another drive out tomorrow. So if I can snap a few pics on my cell I will, and I'll post them up. I'll be up all night anyways making sure the water levels don't danger my vehicle.

Here's one from the local news. The bridge is almost completely under water. This bridge goes over the James River at it's widest point where it dumps into the Chesapeake Bay. I put a normal picture of the bridge next to it for comparison.

normalvshurricane.webp

Kinda glad I live in a boring part of the UK , if we get 4 inches of snow we tend to think its the end of the world....

Heart goes out to all who this concerns...

We're OK here in MA, Adam, but just to give you a small taste of what they might experience south of us....

I lived in southern NJ (philly area) for 30 years prior to 2005 - and in that time period, the single highest gust of wind I remember was 48 MPH when a hurricane missed us. That one gust - and I felt it clearly - knocked down enough trees in Southern NJ (sandy soil, pine trees) that we lost power for a full five days. Since we were on a well, that meant no water either.

Now.....let's take this storm which is forecasting winds peaking at 80MPH in the same vicinity - as you probably know, the power of the wind increases to the square of the speed, so an 80MPH gust is 2.5X as strong as a 50.

These wind speeds will be constant over the area where many millions of people live.

I'm not saying houses are going to blow down....the human folly is going to be the big one. That is, since dereg of electric utilities, the grid has been ignored (thank Ron Reagan for that one).....and utilities rely on a small are getting an outage and other utilities (they have contracts with each other) coming in and helping. But what happens when ALL the utilities are hit over a massive area? We are about to find out.

Again, I can state clearly that we never experienced an inland event like this in the last generation. We may get lucky, but the odds seem to be against that.
80 Mph wind doesn't impress me much. We get that here where I live now and I just spent a good hour hiking up the side of Mount Tom. Made it all the way up to the summit and took in a fresh breath of air.

It actually felt very good up there. Air almost felt as fresh as sea side (almost).

The storm is anticipated to move over us by tomorrow and up into PA by Wednesday morning. The rain gauge indicated that we received 2.5" of rain over the night and into the early morning. As they are saying, it isn't if but when we lose power.

Top Bottom