2x computers down with a virus/keylogger

=MGN=RedEagle

So in that last hack I talked about, 2x of my computers went down. I have reformatted one. What should I do with the portable hard drives plugged in at the time of the hack? Any way I can save my work?

So in that last hack I talked about, 2x of my computers went down. I have reformatted one. What should I do with the portable hard drives plugged in at the time of the hack? Any way I can save my work?
You should scan them for V/Malware. (After you have the services on the pc which you will be pluggin in the drives)

I dislike virus programs
Your problem is right there.

Yeah, if you go without virus protection you have to be insanely careful. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, especially as good antivirus programs are usually free.

Remember: Don't be silly, wrap your... uh... Windows. :D

Yeah, if you go without virus protection you have to be insanely careful. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, especially as good antivirus programs are usually free.

Remember: Don't be silly, wrap your... uh... Windows. :D
I have no virus protection.. and in 4 years of existence of my desktop PC... it is still up and going.

I have no virus protection.. and in 4 years of existence of my desktop PC... it is still up and going.
See, I didn't say it wasn't possible - I don't use virus protection on my Windows box. But I'm also ridiculously careful about what I do with it and what I expose it to, and it's the lesser-used of the operating systems on my box. But just because you and I have managed not to catch a nasty, doesn't mean we should go recommending it to everyone!

Actually, if you don't have a virusscanner, at best you can assume you didn't catch anything nasty, as you have no way of knowing if you did. ;)

You should look into sandboxie it can run basically any program or browser in its own sandbox, so if any crap malware or otherwise gets downloaded it's stuck in your designated sandbox and wont get access to your pc . Been using sandboxie + avast as a backup and haven't had any issues.gl :)

Malwarebytes tends to be one of the best tools for clearing out an existing infection, though you need to be able to run it in-place, rather than from e.g. a boot cd for it to be most effective (at least according to forum posts by its developers).

If your system is beyond use, time to break out combofix and hope nothing goes wrong.

That depends on your knowledge... :D (... and other factors)

It also depends on a hackers knowledge....

In fact I would go as far to say, you just issued a challenge without even realizing you have done so as there are thousands of young people just itching to prove themselves in the hacking world....

All I can say is.... Stay lucky.

Regards...

Reminds me that one of my cousins' computers was running, but so slowly that I scanned it for viruses, and found out that not only did that computer have viruses, it was a virus museum.
Back in 2004 I had a computer which had issues. The issue had to do with a program I was using. Once I deleted the program the issues all left. Then I downloaded a virus program. This program told me I had some 3-4 million viruses. Each time I scanned that number went up significantly and the computer slowed down. I kept scanning and getting slowed down and within a day or two my computer ceased to function at all. I knew little about computers then, but I never used a virus program since and my computers all work much faster and have a much longer life since.

What virus program was that? There are malware that pretend to be anti-virus, and from what you say it sounds like one of those.

Top Bottom