Other $25 Clickable Thread Listing

Just to throw my 2 cents in...I am glad that the angst and disagreement seems to have sorted itself out. I was following this thread and was looking to see how this works. I came back in between the problems and clicked on the resource and saw it was gone. So, I thought, okay, this is not going to happen.

Now, it may be back up (I didn't check yet). And it may be something I am interested in. My point is that it makes sense, especially if the work is done, to post and (as much as you would originally) support an add-on, because people might be interested.

This is not to take anyone to task or call anyone out. It is just to say that pulling something down after it is posted may result in lost income/opportunities.

I am not sure if this is something I need or will use. Just a general comment about add-ons (I have paid several hundreds for add-ons, some I have used, some not- but may in the future, just out of interest and in some cases, supporting ideas that I like). Just something to think about.

It happens :P I should have thought to put something in the README for CDN users.. in any case it looks to be working now, I'm glad to see.

I'm not somebody who likes to give up, which is partially why I learned how to program in the first place. I am not satisfied with the notion that something is too difficult for me to complete, so I do everything I can to learn how to complete something.

When I have issues, I don't like to quit, I like to work through them, if that is possible.
I will tell you now I wish I had not pulled the addon so quickly - but at the time it seemed sensible.

Even if others were interested, this is something I wanted to release and support for free, but I would not do so if I had no incentive to create it in the first place.. which was, for me, the donation.

Lost income/opportunities from pulling a free resource do not concern me much. I program for a living but doing work for XF is just a side project.

That said, I do appreciate your 2 cents.

Just to throw my 2 cents in...I am glad that the angst and disagreement seems to have sorted itself out. I was following this thread and was looking to see how this works. I came back in between the problems and clicked on the resource and saw it was gone. So, I thought, okay, this is not going to happen.

Now, it may be back up (I didn't check yet). And it may be something I am interested in. My point is that it makes sense, especially if the work is done, to post and (as much as you would originally) support an add-on, because people might be interested.

This is not to take anyone to task or call anyone out. It is just to say that pulling something down after it is posted may result in lost income/opportunities.

I am not sure if this is something I need or will use. Just a general comment about add-ons (I have paid for several hundreds of add-ons, some I have used, some not- but may in the future, just out of interest and in some cases, supporting ideas that I like). Just something to think about.
I'm just frustrated and have spent hours trying to get it to work. Like days even. Would stop... come back and work on it some more. Get frustrated, work on something else, come back, mess with it some more. So if anything it's my bad for being so short-tempered. I should at least appreciate that he tried to help.

Just click in the thread box (beside the thread title) and it should take you to the thread.

For example, clicking anywhere in:
Screenshot 2012-09-15 at 11.25.21 PM.webp
..should take you to that thread.

It's working for me on Chrome, and it should be fine on other browsers. I know you said you cleared your cache but that's the only thing I can think of that would be getting in the way.

Maybe go to http://e.8thos.com/js/wthreadrow/wthreadrow.js?_v=bba17b4a and do a couple hard refreshes to make sure it shows up?

Gents,

No need for apologies or bad feelings...I sensed as much was going on. My only point is for developers/coders, if you have something in hand that works and you have posted about it, it makes little sense to take it down if others might use it/be interested.

Seems like the issue is sorted between you two...if I can help to test it out, I am happy to try. I just am not sure what I am trying to look for- some simple explanation given, I will try.

Happy to try it...just not sure how it works. Do I need to register on your site (I am assuming so) to test?
No. All you do is click on a space.

For example, look at my forum home. http://www.8thos.com/board/

If you click anywhere on the blank space of a subforum, it will lead you into the subforum itself. I made that after studying Russ mobile style.

I even asked Russ to help me out with this and he had issues. The point of a clickable forum listing (which i was able to do myself) and a clickable thread listing (which is what this thread's about) is to make it easier to browse the website from a mobile device. Not everyone wants to switch to Tapatalk or the Mobile Style. Sometimes you want the best of both worlds. Also, clickable forum and thread listing increases the time spent on site because a guest would accidentally click on one of the threads or forum listings and something might catch their eye. Basically I believe something like this helps reduce bounce time. Just a small SEO trick.

One bug I have noticed is that for threads with prefixes, clicking the box will take you to a filter of that prefix instead of to the thread :whistle: Working on a fix now.

okay it works for me! sent a pm

I think it worked for me before I even cleared my cache. I think the problem was I didn't realize it was working because I wasn't paying attention when it went to the thread. It went to the thread with no visual clue. That's kind of confusing. Couldn't there be some way to make the mouse pointer turn into the 'clickable' hand type pointer?

The addon is only some javascript and CSS and some XF magic to include them both in all pages.. it should not cause any server errors or interfere with the site's operation at all.

Oh, yeah, with prefixes, it does not work for me. I clicked on http://www.8thos.com/threads/tevin-campbell-appreciation-thread.18134/ and it worked fine. I clicked on http://www.8thos.com/threads/apples-n-oranges.17643/
and it doesn't work.
That's on purpose. Both me and the other admin at my site work at Apple and we b!tch about our jobs in that thread. Don't want it viewable by guests or noobs for obvious reasons. :ROFLMAO:

That thread is a modification I donated for called Hide Thread Prefix from Guests http://xenforo.com/community/resources/sonnb-hide-prefixes-from-usergroups.928/

So any thread prefix you see with the (- -) Prefix is not viewable to guests or noobs. It's like a 'privacy' thread instead of just doing it in the private forum. Weird I know but it's convenient.

I had to ask for that addon to get made after the Tit Competition thread caused some drama...

Top Bottom