2012 Macbook Pro vs. 2013 Macbook Air

Robert F Schmitz

Both are 13" and from what I have read, the 2013 Air has an incredibly long battery life and fast performance.

What sort of feedback can I get from those here more familiar with these machines?

Thanks.

Macbook Pro Retina is absolutely amazing. I have a Mid-2014 MBP w/ Retina, cost me £2500. Overpriced? Yeah. Would I buy it again? Yeah. They're amazing. If the 2012 MBP has Retina, it's probably good since it's one of the newer models I believe. If it doesn't, I'd get the MB Air. Good performance, but it's more portable and has a huge battery life. You won't regret buying a Mac, either way.

Macbook Pro Retina is absolutely amazing. I have a Mid-2014 MBP w/ Retina, cost me £2500. Overpriced? Yeah. Would I buy it again? Yeah. They're amazing. If the 2012 MBP has Retina, it's probably good since it's one of the newer models I believe. If it doesn't, I'd get the MB Air. Good performance, but it's more portable and has a huge battery life. You won't regret buying a Mac, either way.
+10000
I'm absolutely sure my next computer will be the PRO retina display :coffee:

The Air does have better batter life but the performance won't be no where as near as the Pro. I have an Early 2013 MBP and I love it. Got the upgraded processor and flash memory in mine. Boots in less than 10 seconds logged in and ready to get online.

I found out today when I asked for some screen shots that the MBP is actually a late 2011, no Retina display. The MBP is selling for $600, the 2013 MB Air is $720. For $131 I can swap out the memory for what I am told is supportable, 16GB.

Make sure it's possible to swap the memory, because on a Macbook Air there is not much to swap. It's all on the board.

Sorry wasn't clear on the memory. The MBP states max of 8gb but some MAC sites say the it will actually support 16. Good to know about the Air though, thanks!

I think the display on the current version of the Macbook Air is awful for how much the device costs. I went with the 13 inch pro with retina display and I am very happy with both the screen quality and performance.

I have the Macbook Air 2013 with all bells and whistles. Went for the Air because it is lighter. I have to carry it around in public transportation. Will immediately sell it once the new Macbook Air comes out with Retina. Rumour has it, it is due very soon :)

I just want a Mac Pro like my friendly Dr. is getting. She's going to be doing some 4K video editing and wanted something that would last her a while and was Mac.
The Mac Pro she's getting in spec'd out at a tad over $13,000 to her door. :eek:

I've got a 2012 15" Pro retina and love it. It's been the best mac I've had so far. It replaced a 2009 Macbook Pro (standard screen), which replaced a MacPro, which replaced a MacBook white/plastic, which replaced an iMac white plastic :P

The new MacBook is interesting but two things would annoy the hell out of me:

- The lack of ports (even a second USB port or one thunderbolt port would have been nice...
- The lack of power. It's a very, VERY low spec machine and whilst it'd be fine for 'home users', for me it'd be a hinderance.

I have the 2012 non-Retina MBP. Should've probably waited for the rMBP but hey ho. Holding up well, sometimes when I'm doing a fair amount of things it'll get a bit sluggish but other than that it's ok. Did get a warning a few weeks ago that the battery may need servicing but aside from that, it's been holding up well for almost 3 years of use.

Yep, the lack of ports / power is a big problem. :eek:
Where is the time when Steve Jobs was still in charge. :cool:

It seems like apple is going to sell us low budget hardware with a nice design and a high price! :((n)

Kind of related to this;

I'm looking to start making apps for iOS which requires a mac. I'm kind of leaning towards a mac mini, does anyone use this? Is it worth it? Or should I spend the extra money and get a all-in-one mac?

Kind of related to this;

I'm looking to start making apps for iOS which requires a mac. I'm kind of leaning towards a mac mini, does anyone use this? Is it worth it? Or should I spend the extra money and get a all-in-one mac?
Mac Mini's aren't that bad but remember you're sourcing all the other equipment but you probably already knew that. If you're just going to use it for developing iOS / OS X apps, the baseline model shouldn't be that bad. If you have extra money and have plans to use a Mac regularly, then you'll probably want to spend a bit extra to future-proof yourself in terms of specs.

I was thinking the middle one, once I add in keyboard and mouse it's at $817. Still have to add an adapter to plug a monitor into it though. I also considered upgrading the ram from 8 to 16 for another $200.

Top Bottom