2 Competing Forums launching new sites around the SAME TIME!

surfsup

What would YOU do in order to insure your site gets the most amount of traffic around this period of time?

1 Site is launching a brand new website/forum together but isnt Xenforo software but backed up by a big corporation

2nd Site is moving from VB to Xenforo with a lot of extra addons.

How would you steal their thunder persay? Email blasts? When to do the email blasts? before or after their launch?

Just looking for ideas!

Reactions: LPH
Wait until your competitor has released their new site, take a quick note of things, and compare your strengths and weaknesses between yourself. Pick up where you think they're failing and upon releasing your new site; do not send out an e-mail notice until some of your members have gone through things & you've imputed what feedback they may provide and that you feel is useful (also resolve any issues before as well).

Make one single e-mail announcement. No one wants to be spammed with forum mail. Also make a very nice introduction thread (sticky it) about your new site and design. Repeat the above steps and learn from this.

Were already a well established forum with almost 300k posts. Their coming from a old school bulletin board style and just archiving everything they have (no one can comment on the archive posts they mentioned)

(I removed the video, dont want the competitor seeing it just in case)

Yes their video is so bland IMO lol but they are a Magazine company and compared to me its just family owned very small company but we have been growing massive.

***** Here is our current vbulletin forum: http://bit.ly/d2FLNw ****

^As you can see we have a lot of those features they already mentioned.

I am sorry but i could barely watch the video as he annoys me for some reason. It kind of looks like IPB , but i am not 100 percent sure. Or is it wordpress front end .

Wait until your competitor has released their new site, take a quick note of things, and compare your strengths and weaknesses between yourself. Pick up where you think they're failing and upon releasing your new site. Do not send out an e-mail notice until some of your members have gone through things & you've imputed what feedback they may provide and that you feel is useful (also resolve any issues before as well).

Make one single e-mail announcement. No one wants to be spammed with forum mail. Also make a very nice introduction thread (sticky it) about your new site and design. Repeat the above steps and learn from this.

Were already a well established forum with almost 300k posts. Their coming from a old school bulletin board style and just archiving everything they have (no one can comment on the archive posts they mentioned)

Heres their video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I am not sure which Forum software is that? Do any of you?

Yes their video is so bland IMO lol but they are a Magazine company and compared to me its just family owned very small company but we have been growing massive.

***** Here is our current vbulletin forum: http://bit.ly/d2FLNw ****

^As you can see we have a lot of those features they already mentioned.

And your design will be a billion times better :sneaky:.

I am sorry but i could barely watch the video as he annoys me for some reason. It kind of looks like IPB , but i am not 100 percent sure. Or is it wordpress front end .

He's kind of boring, and bland. And his lifeless gaze stares into your soul and makes you feel violated :(.

Well i hate to talk negative about anyone BUT .. I think it is his voice and the haircut. Then the whole fat man in a little suit. ( tommy boy or black sheep )

This is an important thread because many people offer forums about the same topics. Why do people choose one over the other ? Maybe they go off and start their own. Maybe they register, post once, and never come back. These are all important questions to help the admin improve the site.

I had a "theory" a decade ago: People want to see change. If there is no change then they assume nothing is happening. If nothing is happening then they do not want to be a member. I'm not sure if this still holds but it might help you get a leg up on the competition. In other words ... what would I do? What I've done for a long time .. release in "stages" so that there is always change.

PS. Are you the type of person who goes to a forum and looks at the "what's new" section? If you don't see activity then do you come back? Do you register if there are numerous threads from numerous people accounts?

Top Bottom