XF 2.1 2.1.3 upgrade issue: Files not writeable

djbaxter

in memoriam 1947-2022
On two separate forums (different dedicated servers), getting this error:

The following issue was found when determining if a one-click upgrade is possible: The files are not writable.

The upgrade manual says two directories must be 0777: data and internal_data

Both of these are already 0777 on both forums.

What else would produce this error? or what other directories need to be changed?

It gets worse. I decided to do a manual upgrade.

I uploaded all the files manually via FTP. That part completed without error.

I then started the upgrade the normal way via the /install directory. It requested login and password. Then it rejected the password even though I can log into the members area just fine with it.

I tried changing the password. It still said it was incorrect. Then it (the upgrade system) locked me out.

I am now reuploading all the 2.1.2 files. :mad:

I then started the upgrade the normal way via the /install directory. It requested login and password. Then it rejected the password even though I can log into the members area just fine with it.

When you say you can "log into the members area" with those details what are you referring to, exactly?

To find the user, upload this file in your public home directory (whatever.php)
PHP:
<?php
exec('whoami');
?>
That should give you an output of either apache or nginx.

While those directories may be 0777, there might be a sub directory that's not.* Edit: I don't think this matters and chown is the only way if I recall correctly from a beta to another beta.

Run
chown -R user:user /path/to/data
and
chown -R user:user /path/to/internal_data

After that, an automatic update should work.

Well the answer from my support ticket is that on some servers, including the two in question, automatic upgrades require 0777 access to more than just those two files, and that in order to get it to work on those servers I would basically have to 0777 the entire forum directory. The advice was to just use manual upgrades, which I have done.

It would be nice if you could trigger the automatic update via shell as you do with the importer, that way you could launch it as root instead of www-data, avoiding all the permissions issues.

Remind me please: how do you chown directories and files so that they are owned by whatever Xenforo update needs?
This should still work.

I use Centminmod and no longer need to do it because there's a security tool in there that revokes those permissions, but you can override them. It's been a while since I did it using the above, but I did 2 or 3 upgrades after learning that CMM kept taking them away.

Top Bottom