Add-on 2.0 Suggestions

That's regrettably true, but I doubt somebody who wouldn't post a thread in those sections would post in here either. I'd imagine most XF customers aren't active here on the community forums.

What is the scope you are talking about @Syndol 2.0 ?

Big: Calendar/Events, Classifieds, Social Groups, Listings
Normal: Bridges to whatever other software/website is around, Addons around the new Custom Fields
Small: See suggestions page on xf, widgets
Core: Tweaks to the language system (multi-linguality), various kind of criteria

These examples should be interesting overall for all xf members.

Last edited:
@sbj Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm not sure if big or small yet. Currently seeking something to reignite my passion for creating add-ons. You've provided some great ideas.

@M@rc Thanks for the suggestion but I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to begin with something like that.

Currently seeking something to reignite my passion for creating add-ons.

When I was writing addons for vB, I would dredge through the suggestion/request forums for ideas to lite a fire under me to write an addon. Of course I only released free addond and looked for things that were discussed a lot and seemed the slightest bit interesting to me.

@Syndol 2.0 No problem.
There are basically 5 kind of motivations to create addons.

1. You need something for your own website.
2. Money.
3. Being kind and generous for the whole community/people (free stuff).
4. The challenge of coding (to train your skills or to see the range of your skills).
5. Hobby

So what is it for you? If I were in your position, which means being able to create addons, I would determine what my motivation is and depending on that I would create addons. But of course if you don't have any motivation at all, neither of the 5 points is the reason what would make you create addons, then spend your time with hobbies if your "heart" is not in it :).

@ozzy47 Any plans to code for the new xf? This community lacks of devs the past years, specially people releasing stuff for free. Just asking. Would be great to have you here.

@ozzy47 Any plans to code for the new xf? This community lacks of devs the past years, specially people releasing stuff for free. Just asking. Would be great to have you here.

I have been asked this many times, and TBH, I just can not wrap my head around the way XF is coded. vB was easily learned by me compared to this. I doubt I will ever grasp it, for more than one reason. Part of the reasoning being is that I don't have the time nor the equipment to study the code anymore.

Reactions: sbj
I'd like to see a tight implementation of "Reactions", like Facebook has it.

I loved the quality of Conversation Essentials, and Bookmarks, so I know the quality of add-on you'd release.

I'm sure I can think of some others, "bigger" ones, but for now that's all I've got. I would love to also see a myriad of Widgets created....

For example, is there anything that is still missing from the core that you consider a must have?
A gamification system with points, trophy badges, extensive member criteria, levels, multiple tiers, leaderboard, progress, instructions for next level up, promotions, etc, etc. Something similar to Milano's Master badge (deleted addon), but more advanced.

+1 for a reactions add-on. Must have the ability to add your own like Dark's Post Rating does.

seamless integration between XenForo and FB Groups in both directions

Ability to sort thread prefixes in a numeric order with multi-prefixes rather than always alphabetically. So a prefix giving #2 but starts with G appears before a prefix that starts with D but is #42 in order

From what I can understand, there's at least three different versions of this planned by different developers for XF 2.0. Probably one to avoid, with that in mind.

Depends on who you like to code, I suppose.

Myself, I'd pay much more to see a Syndol release on this. When he released Bookmarks, and Conv Essentials early on, it was seamless. I loved the implementation into XF1... it was a shame I really didn't have much of a need for them (although I bought them, as I loved the work and the look as well).

I haven't paid any attention to who else might be doing it, but I'll stick with work by @Syndol 2.0 , @Bob , @Brogan , or you.

Top Bottom