13 year old permissions

Alvin63

Ok so the forum terms and rules say members need to be 13 or over. We have a 13 year old member and I'm just thinking I should restrict conversation permissions possibly? For their own protection (and that of other members!) On permissions you can either set that they can start and receive conversations or not. Is there anyway you can give permission to start conversations but limit it to certain members or certain other ages groups? (The latter is probably not an option anyway as very few have their DOB on there).

In Admin > Groups & permissions > Analyze permissions

Use that possibility to create permission rules for your 13 year old.

Rather than restricting conversations, it is better to just have the tools to monitor conversations if needed. Kids normally lie about their age online to bypass age restrictions, and many 11 to 13 year old kids are going to just put down that they are 16-18, or older.

@Xon made this add-on for @Stuart Wright (https://xenforo.com/community/resources/conversation-monitor.6715/) that allows you to monitor conversations by keywords, but it also requires a private add-on by @Xon called Conversation Sharing, for which you need to contact him privately.

Conversation monitor is designed to identify known bad traders. Those traders who return after being blocked from trading will have their unique information, like a post/zip code and/or phone number and/or name put in the Conversation Monitor so that if any conversation message contains those elements, it goes in to the moderation queue for checking.
The addon could be used for any purpose, but you would need to select which relevant keywords you would want to monitor for. I'm not sure it would suit the purpose of identifying underage users.
Forum admins can't be expected to verify the age of members, so we aren't responsible if underage people lie about their DOB.

It's always a good idea to be extra careful when dealing with minors on the forum. It's always best to be extra cautious and consider the safety and protection of both the minor and the other members. Unfortunately, as you have mentioned, setting a limit on conversations based on ages or even certain members may not be an option since many users do not have their date of birth on their profiles.

I recommend that you look into setting stronger filtering preferences and monitoring tools to ensure that conversations between the 13 year old member and other members are appropriate and focus on topics that are appropriate for their age. You may also look into disabling private conversations for the 13 year old and restricting their ability to view and post in certain topics, including adult topics and content.

Also you can use this addon to force people to put their age: https://xenforo.com/community/resou...-completion-after-registration-or-login.7187/

Top Bottom