1 TB per day (30 TB per month)

Adam Howard

Requirements:
  • 1 TB per day of bandwidth (30 TB a month)
  • Adult content friendly
  • DDOS protection preferred, but not generally required.
Budget:

$2,500 a month

Anyone come to mind? :confused:

I am popping in out of pure curiosity. But id add a couple details to the query. I assume we are talking a dedicated server but are you looking for rackspace to colocate or looking for a provider who is renting the hardware?

I also assume your looking for a 1Gbps uplink but if your looking for 10 thats another story as well. Did you rather unmetered or would a 100 TB cap be comfortable for the time being?

I used to sling firmware for android developers and pushing data gets expensive quick but your budget is a very healthy one.

I am popping in out of pure curiosity. But id add a couple details to the query. I assume we are talking a dedicated server but are you looking for rackspace to colocate or looking for a provider who is renting the hardware?

I also assume your looking for a 1Gbps uplink but if your looking for 10 thats another story as well. Did you rather unmetered or would a 100 TB cap be comfortable for the time being?

I used to sling firmware for android developers and pushing data gets expensive quick but your budget is a very healthy one.
uncapped Un-metered is preferred as the site does use 1 - 2 TB a day, which if you do the math comes out to be 50 GB per hour. Of course that varies throughout the day (as well as the traffic, obviously).

Not looking for colocate, but rather lease the hardware... ie... Use their dedicated server.

Last edited:
At 1-2 TB/day that pushes over the limit of how much a 100mpbs connection could handle. You'd need to look at servers that provide GigE connections or more than one 100mbps connection. Theoretically, a 100mbps line can push 41.6 GB of data per hour. (1TB/~1 day)

With a GigE connection, pushing 50TB/month, that comes out to $4,750/month for just the pipe alone on the contract I have (if I wanted to use that much)

I found unlimited 100mbps for ~$2,000/month down to $495.oo/month (Medium Quality > Low Quality)

Also, considering the server that is going to do this.... probably needs to be beefy if not more than one server.

In the end, $2,500 is a low-ball budget for that magnitude of bandwidth requirements.

EDIT: I did some quick searches for unmetered GigE ports and none of them I've heard of before. No idea how they would be pulling off some of the prices shown for unmetered GigE lines. I just searched GigE unmetered... you'll get the same results most likely.

Last edited:
I usually rent through resellers in Internap data centers in the US. The people I deal with colocate with them and don't go quite this high but I figured I would take a quick look at Internap directly.

Internap want's an extra 20 a month over the base package of the server I am looking at for GigE and they seem to only offer upwards of 15 TB for about 500 a month over the base package which isn't enough for you. Base tiered pricing for additional adds up quick too.

I know my provider has 10 to 20 Gbps (multiple links of course) on every cabinet in each location so they do sell much faster connections and our main server probably burns through 12 TB a month on a 1 Gbps connection paying the re-seller 300 a month. I feel like I am missing something on their site as I know for people colocating they offer a ton more.

Not so sure on their content policies but they are continually building their networks to mitigate DDOS attacks. Internap is pretty large themselves but my provider is gaming specific and they of course have servers under various forms of attack. They seem to be the most lenient data center I have ever had service in. Null routing a client has always been a last resort for them where as other providers seem to take that action first.

Last edited:
Try Incero. They don't offer DDoS protection, but could certainly cover your bandwidth requirements...very likely within your budget. If you want a true 1Gbps unmetered line though, you are looking at quite a lot of money. It's going to be cheaper buying the 30TB or even 100TB of data.

100TB.com also covers that kind of bandwidth, and are fairly reliable.

I'd look at http://webhostingtalk.com to find something you can live with.

If all you needed is a 1tb drive and 1Gbps with unmetered data and 8g of RAM, you can find that for much less that what your stated budget is for.
https://my.servstra.com/cart.php?pid=98 saw that they do ddos protection too..
This actually was posted on webhostingtalk.com

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1324175

But it's always good to get feedback and suggestions from 3rd party sources. When searching for anything, I don't put my eggs in 1 basket, but rather do an extensive search of research, which includes the experience other others and their opinions.

That sort of bandwidth with DDoS protection, I'd go staminus.net also there is 100TB.com, but not sure if they offer DDoS mitigation.

Crikey, what exactly are you going to host that chews through 1TB a day?

You can get a reasonable Dedicated Server to run that service, and you won't need to spend $2,500 a month. I've had previous experience with Hetzner.de for fairly-priced Dedicate Servers. For €324 , plus €199 set-up, you can have a Dell PowerEdge machine with 3TB HDD, Dual Xeon E5-2620 (8 cores x 2 hyper threading, x 2 processors = 32 theoretical cores), 128GB of RAM, and 50TB of Outgoing traffic per month - they don't count/measure Inbound traffic.

Assuming you're using this 50TB box for web services, stick a Cloudflare Business package on top of that for $200 a month - you've got a pretty unstoppable force, for much less than the $2,500 budget you quoted.

I might be talking absolute baloney, but it just goes to show you what's possible with so little.

You should email chris (at) virtbiz (dot) com - when I had my colo dedicated servers.. support is awesome. Fast. Responsive. They do dedicated servers as well. Really good throughput. I never had any downtime until my raid controller died. :( Again, my hardware so I was SOL.

Came across one, 8 gigs of memory , gbit line, unmetered in the US for well under what you were looking to get into.

I'll shoot you the link in a pm since I don't know enough about them to give them a public shout out on my own word...

Top Bottom